Cell Phone Questions

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by James Edward, Aug 3, 2003.

1. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

My wife just got a new phone that uses the same number as her old phone- Verizon is still the provider. I don't have, nor do I need a cell phone at this time. However, I've read that an old phone can be used for 911 calls. So, I'll keep it in the car for that.

My question is this: Can I use one of those phone cards with the old phone and be able to make normal outgoing calls? I know I can't receive calls, because the number is in use on my wife's new phone. Anyone know?

Thanks...

2. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    1. Yes, you can use it to access emergency lines, via 911.

2. No, you will not be able to use it for any other purpose, even calling cards. It still needs to access a provider to gain a signal... it's like having a phone without a phone chord... generally useless.

3. Devin U

Devin U Second Unit

You may be able to use it. Sometimes, depending on the network, you may be transfered to a customer call center, and there you may have the option of paying for a call by credit card. But it can be expensive, like almost $5/min if I hear right.

4. Shane Bos

Shane Bos Second Unit

your best bet would be to call Verizon customer care or go into a Verizon store they may be able to activate the phone on pre-paid.

Also it is law in US, and Canada that all phones on service or not wireless or landline must be able to call 911 (that is why you pay the 911 tax on your phones).

5. Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison Screenwriter

Randy
    Yes, you should be able to get an operator so that you can make credit card calls. It is just like the idea of roaming. You have no service on the cell you are on, so have to pay their roaming fees.

6. Paul_Medenwaldt

Paul_Medenwaldt Supporting Actor

Is there a SIM card that goes with the phone?

I would think you need a new SIM card to go with the old phone. When my wife switched phones she just took the SIM card from the old phone and put it in the new phone and it had all her info. Our provider is T-Mobile, but would assume Verizon works the same way.

I would call Verizon and see if they can issue you a new card, who knows, they may be nice and do it thinking you may someday upgrade to a full service plan.

Paul

7. James T

James T Screenwriter

If you don't use it a lot, then just sign up for a prepaid service.

8. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins
    I don't believe Verizon uses the GSM system, thus his phone probably doesn't have a SIM card.

I know T-Mobile, Cingular and AT&T offer GSM on their new phones.

Sprint and Verizon use CDMA

Nextel uses IDN.

Jeff

9. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

I called Verizon and as far as they are concerned, the phone is a goner except for 911. I can live with that- when I really need one for other reasons I'll get my own.

Thank you for the replies.

10. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Verizon also offers some family plans that let you share minutes between multiple phones for a minimal additional monthly cost. If you plan on using the phone occasionally, this may make more sense than a pre-paid plan since your wife already has a Verizon phone.