Cell Phone question...

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Alan Erceg, Jan 3, 2004.

1. Alan Erceg

Alan Erceg Stunt Coordinator

I've been with verizon wireless for a little over a year now..(2 year contract), and so far have had no problems.

I have an older motorola v120e phone, which has worked great, but I have been wanting to upgrade.

I went into verizon wireless zone place, and was told that I was not available to upgrade until october of this year, and If i wanted a new phone I would have to pay retail price for it, which the ones listed in the store varied from 200-600$.

I just thought this was crazy. Is this normal practice. I have no problem paying 150$ for a phone, and if they want to even tack on an extra year on my contract then fine...but paying all that money just seems crazy...Maybe if i go an actual verizon store instead of a verizon wireless outlet it will be different??

Just wanted some opinions...

2. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

Well, with Cingular you can get a free new phone at any time. I had about 6 months left on my two year contract when my phone broke. Went in to get a new one and they wanted me to pay retail or I was given the option of signing a new 2 year contract from that date and I got a free phone. I took it. I've known a lot of people that have done it.

3. Alan Erceg

Alan Erceg Stunt Coordinator

Yeah I dont mind them tacking on the extra contact time..I really dont.

Ill have to take a ride down to the other store and see what they can tell me...

4. Mark Murphy

Mark Murphy Supporting Actor

I have my phone through Cingular. My three year old decided to see if my brand new phone could swim in the toilet. Needless to say, it couldn't. Since I had recently "upgraded" and failed to purchase insurance (it wasn't offered) I had to shell out the full retail price of the phone. The retail price was over $350. I told them that it would be cheaper for me to cancel the remainder of my contract at $175 and go to a competitor. They were happy to offer me the phone at the "upgrade" price.