What's new

Cell Phone Jammers invade theaters.. (1 Viewer)

JamieD

Supporting Actor

I seriously think this thread will derail, and that post was a example of why. The issue should not be / is not about "onus of reachability". It is about taking extra measures besides those caused structurally to prevent cell phone /pager reception. It is one thing to say "well, no reception at the theater, I can't go", a completely different issue to say "Well, reception today, but now tomorrow John Doe will bring in his jammer, and there won't be any." Artificial means of restricting reception is a very different issue that poor reception.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Oh, sure, one can, but "my grandpappy couldn't do it" is a poor excuse for not doing something. More people are required to be reachable 24/7 now - that's what wireless communications hath wrought, and I think most would agree that the benefits of this outweigh the abuses (especially if it's your doctor who gets called out of a movie).

The ability to communicate important information at any time is a good thing, by and large. That the same technology can be used frivolously shouldn't mean we prevent useful applications.

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
It's also worth noting that a doctor who drives through a tunnel, barring traffic, is out of touch for a matter of minutes. A cell-phone jammed theater means they're out of touch for several hours. I can't wait for the first doctor who misses an emergency page to show up because someone decided to jam the cell phone signal. I mean, yes, rudeness is a problem, but doctors are people too, and they should be able to go out and enjoy themselves, even when they're on-call. How would you like it if YOUR doctor couldn't be reached because someone else was intentionally jamming his cell phone? What about when people decide to extend this to freeways and put jammers in their cars, because of course nobody should be talking on a cell phone in the car either? They can just be out of contact until they get home.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
You have to consider the places where such jamming would prove to be beneficial to the vast majority of people who frequent certain establishments, that will dictate where such technology gets employed reasonably. It's not like I expect supermarkets to deploy cell phone jamming solutions (especially since their shoppers use their cell phones to check to see if they need to buy X, Y or Z), but in certain places, like movie theaters, cell phones going off audibly inside the theater is not something the vast majority of attendees want to hear, and cell phone jamming could be argued to be justifiable (but it would help if patron knew in advance what they were getting into before buying a ticket, so they could make an informed choice before entering the theater).

Vigilante jamming isn't something I'd endorse.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
To me this problem all comes down to a simple solution. Theaters need to return to enforcing policies concerning rudeness. It wasn't all that long ago that a theater had an usher walk up & down the aisle every 10 minutes or so. That kept people in line, then if someone's phone rings out loud or they start talking, you throw them out with no refund. It's as simple as that.

Movies are expensive today, but I'd gladly pay an extra dollar or two to have some ushers back.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
I can sum this up by stating a fact about the human psyche - There are two groups of people in this world. (1) Those that want negative actions regulated so as to punish those who commit the actions. (2) Those that want inanimate objects regulated so as to punish everyone who uses the objects, regardless if the use is positive or negative.

Put me down as the former.

George See

Second Unit

Theaters caring about presentation? Not today sorry. Maybee in the arthouses but certainly not in the large chains.

As far as I know there is also a law in NY City at least barring cell phone use during shows. I saw this posted on a sign when I went to see wicked this past weekend. I'm not sure if applies to only live entertainment like Broadway or if it also applies to movies. I don't live in the city so I can't say i've ever seen any movies there recently to notice if they had the same posting.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
There are cell phone jammers out there? Can you mount one on your car? :D Boy, that would be heaven...

Darren Gross

Supporting Actor
Matt;Walter:

Just curious, what jobs do you have that require you to be on call 24/7/365?

Not a job I would want, that's for sure!

Pat Frank

Stunt Coordinator
It's not just the ring, but the USE of cell phones during a movie that gets me. I've had people behind me answer their phone (which I never heard ring) and proceed to have a conversation. It's ridiculous.

But whatever. This is why I don't go to movies anymore. Jam or not, I don't care anymore -- I have a home theater. How SOON I get to see a new movie makes no difference to me whatsoever.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Lead software engineer for an online transaction processing system that takes in approximately 4.5 billion dollars a year. I am usually the first and last resort for any software problems that crop up because (basically) if I can't fix it, nobody can. Have worn a pager for 7+ years as both a consultant and my current position and I'm supposed to be available 24/7/365.

And before you ask, my reply is "Vacation? What the hell is a vacation?"

Shawn_McD

Stunt Coordinator
I'll add to Jeff's description. I'm a Network engineer who no matter what is always on call. I put my phone on vibrate and conduct most of my business via text message (Which doesn't bother anyone!).

Cell Jammers, not going to happen. There are to many legi reasons. I.E. Law Enforcement, etc etc.

Count me as one against jammers, but also against rude people in the theatre (Whom I detest).

But as always, people are always thinking of themselves, sorry you don't live my life thanks.

Brett_B

Supporting Actor

Jeff,

Not to be disrespectful, but what happens to the company if you went into a coma (or something that would definitely prevent you from carry out your duty from now on) would the company go belly-up with no hope of recovery? What type of life insurance policy do you have, or do you have bodyguards?;)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

I'd like to be the former. But in the absence of politeness and common courtesy among most of the public at large toward those around them, all we are left with is the latter.

I was just thinking a few days ago a personal jammer would be a neat thing to have. Though I probably wouldn't use it until someone nearby was being rude.

Brett_B

Supporting Actor

I think his title (Lead Software Engineer) eliminates that possibility, but I think he would be flattered by that suggestion.

Not to mention that if he was the owner of a 4.5 billion dollar business, why would he be responding to this thread about jamming phone calls in a theater. He would be able to rent the theater any time he wanted.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

My former company would have to be called in to consult at a very expensive rate. This is a state agency, so it cannot go belly up, and there is another engineer who has some experience, but basically I'm it when it comes to emergencies. Either that or they call my old company and pay thousands. No bodyguards, but my boss has a recurring dream in which I get hit by a bus. Depending on how much grief I've given him that day, it is either his worst nightmare or wishful thinking. My boss' worst problem is that like most managers, he thinks people are interchangeble. He tries to get me to believe this is true, constantly questioning my decisions and judgement and letting me know how replaceable I am. However, when a problem arises, he gets to make me coffee.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks