What's new

Cell Phone Jammers invade theaters.. (1 Viewer)

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Customers patronized movie theaters long before cell phones existed, and emergencies happened then, too. If you can't be unconnected for a couple of hours, stay out of the theater.

In my experience, our fellow humans cannot be trusted to set their phones to "vibrate" and then exit to the lobby before returning the call. In my experience, annoying ringers go off all the time, and people take the calls in theater.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman

That's just plain rude.

As I said before, in the last 7 years, my cellphone has vibrated in theaters and it has interrupted no one any more than getting up to go to the bathroom would.

We live in a connected world now. They are even experimenting with allowing cell phone usage on airplanes during flights. Connected people need to learn to be courteous, and that's the bottom line. The curteous ones shouldn't be inconvenienced because of a few bad apples.

We don't ban guns or cars or knives, all of which when used improperly result in far more serious harm than a cell phone ringing in the middle of a movie.

Corbin Stirn

Second Unit
WHY do I always hear ACCOMODATION? WHY? You are going into a PRIVATE business.......they can set rules as THEY LIKE and/or as people ask them to. You have a right to NOT patronize theaters that would institute such rules.....I, and a LOT of other people, would prefer that you DON'T due to the myriad of reasons listed in this thread...cell phones being one of the major ones. People go to movie theaters to escape the world outside for a couple of hours. If you feel the need to be accessible ALL THE TIME,you can find a theater that 'accomodates' you,start your own theater, or watch movies at home. NO ONE is forcing you to go to a movie theater.....you are making the choice to go. WHen you do go into a situation where the VAST majority of people have certain ideas and expectations,don't be suprised when you minority viewpoint is not respected and/or tolerated. It's NOT a public place.......it's a PRIVATE business....and movie theaters will make much more money catering to the individuals who want no interruptions and/or disruptions than they will to a tiny minority that feel otherwise. Once again, as I've stated numerous times, if you don't like it, whether the it is jamming, cell phones off, etc......start your own business to cater to this minority who wants the capability of phones and such. It may fail incredibly, but at least you did what you wanted. I'd wish you the best of luck in any such endeavour, as then I won't have to worry about cell phones disrupting the movies I'M watching at least:D.

Andrew Grall

Supporting Actor
I don't know if this is entirely similar or not, but...

This reminds me of schools that have banned students from having cell phones. Some parents are infuriated because they feel their sons/daughters should be able to get ahold of them in an emergency. I think that this is all really fueled by fear of a Columbine-type situation.

I believe cell phones do not belong in schools, for several reasons. They interrupt classes. They could foster cheating. And, from my experience, the parents are the biggest problem with the cell phones because they seem to feel like they can call them at any time (even when in class).

Of course, if parents are so worried about a Columbine-type thing happening so that the student can contact them in an emergency, then we should also allow cell phones on planes in case of a plane crash. All you are going to get out of having a cell phone during either situation is probably the last words of the person involved. The ability to contact is probably not going to change the situation.

Sorry if I turned this morbid...

Andrew Grall

Supporting Actor

Sorry... Never going to happen...

Ok, so maybe you NEVER forget to turn off your ringer when you go to the theater. How many other people just don't care? We are living in a "me first" society where people feel like they are entitled to do whatever the hell they want - Too hell with everyone else. This is the same reason that I see 1-person vehicles flying by in the carpool lane on the entrance ramp to the highway while I wait in line. (And boy... just once I would love to have the satisfaction of seeing one of these self-important @##holes pulled over by a cop...)

Why can't there be theaters with cell phones banned or jammed? There are restaurants with smoking/no smoking sections... (Although a smoking section in a restaurant in kind of like a peeing section in a pool. It spreads anyways.) There are even some restaurants that choose to be entirely nonsmoking. Or some cities/communities that have laws that all restaurants must be nonsmoking. I know, I know... One is a health risk, while one is an annoyance. But I think it brings up a point that businesses should be entitled to do this if they choose.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman

Many planes already have phones in them at every seat, and some airlines are researching on whether cellphone use is safe. In addition, there were cell phone calls made from some of the planes in the 9/11 attacks when they were low enough to be in range of a cell tower.

Jim Dalton

Stunt Coordinator
Electrify the seats.

Have someone sit in a place where they have a clear view of everyone and when someone gets a call and either lets it ring and ring or answers it and carries on a conversation, then give them a gentle jolt.

If they refuse to stop, up the voltage!

That way, you double the entertainment! :D

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Sounds like they're talking about radio/TV broadcasts to me. Doubtful they'll launch a full-scale investigation because Skeeter can't call Bubba from the movie house to figure out who's buyin' the 6-pack.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman

Actually, the quote is FCC's response to whether it is lawful to jam cell phone signals.

As for the reason it does include cellphones, they are considered radio communication by the FCC. A cellphone company is technically a readio communication station for all intents and purposes, and their towers are radio towers. And the frequencies are regulated by the FCC.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks