Cell phone interference on computer sound

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Joey Skinner, Jun 15, 2005.

1. Joey Skinner

Joey Skinner Second Unit

I have a Sony receiver and some DIY speakers w/sub for my computer sound. Occasionally there is this beep/buzz sound that comes through on the speakers like Morse code. I found out today that it happens when a cellphone is nearby receiving a call. Has anyone else experienced this and is there a way to filter out the unwanted signals?

2. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

It doesn't only happen when the cell phone is receiving a call, at least in my case. I don't think there is any way to get rid of the interference without affecting speaker performance or the cell phone signal. The best thing to do is to have the cell phone as far away from the speakers as possible.

3. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

It's normal, AFAIK there's no way to get rid of it. You'll get a constant noise while on a call/data session, and occasionally when you're not using the phone you'll get a few beeps and buzzes from the phone sending/receiving an "I'm here" signal.

4. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    I used to get a chirp from my computer speakers a second or two before my cell phone rang. This happens all the time and there's really nothing you can do about it. I have noticed that it is worse with our Nextel agency-issue phones in walkie-talkie mode than with any cell in normal cell mode.

Regards,

Joe

5. Joey Skinner

Joey Skinner Second Unit

So this is a common occurance. I'm glad to find out it's not a problem with my new computer. It's strange that I never heard it on my old computer. Oddly enough, I heard it through my car radio today.[​IMG]

6. Marko Berg

Marko Berg Supporting Actor

Happens to me all the time, both with the computer and the car radio. Now if only I could understand the binary code, I could communicate without actually answering the mobile phone at all. [​IMG]