cell phone advice

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by joe rizzuto, Aug 19, 2002.

1. joe rizzuto

joe rizzuto Stunt Coordinator

i need a new cell phone and have narrowed it down to lg tm520 or the motorola v60c. they seem very similar but the motorola is more money. anyone have experience with either or both of these phones?

2. joe rizzuto

[​IMG] bump - in the nite - [​IMG]

3. Chris Smith

Chris Smith Stunt Coordinator

I say try both out. My friend got the lg first and had it less than a week before he had to return it. He personally felt that the menus were so backwards that he couldn't find anything he wanted. Another friend of mine has the lg and loves it to death. I tried the lg for a little while but found the same thing about the menus. It just didn't make sense were some of the things were and it didn't alphabetize the phonebook, probably my number one pet peeve with that phone.

I just bought the v60i (Verizon no longer sells the v60c, but the i comes with some more neat stuff such as a better antenna design and games) and so far I like it a lot. The i's antenna design is still a little fragile but so much better than the c. My only problem with this phone, so far, is that it REQUIRES you to put in a speed dial number, which is annoying to me. Especially since I didn't get all of my 2-8 speed dials in at first and then had to change the say 7 to 77 and then change the one I wanted 7 to be into 7 and then change the 77 to a different number. But that's a small thing, in reality.

My advice is to go through the menus of a working one first and see which you like better.

4. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

Joe...check out www.howardforums.com. This cell phone site has a wealth of user testimonials, FAQ's, and modding tips. You'll find a lot on the lg520 and v60c.
    I own the v60c (CDMA version on the Qwest network). While I believe the v60 is inimitable in its all-aluminum construction, it's got some quirks in its software. But there exists no phone that isn't afflicted with S/W problems - as they get more and more sophisticated with data-enabled and PIM features, there's bound to be some bugs. Like with any other operating system.
    Anyway, I love the solid and compact feel of the v60, couple with its aesthetics, and it RF reception. Good luck picking out your phone.

5. Jason_H

Jason_H Second Unit

I bought a v60 while I was overseas in Australia, there is no "version" to mine I don't think since it is not locked or tied to any provider. I can buy a SIM card wherever I go and pop it in and it will work...I can't believe American companies get away with locking their phones to one company. Everybody in Australia thought that was the craziest thing they had heard!
    I love the phone itself. Tiny, yet sturdy...I keep it in my pocket and not on a belt clip, so this is ideal for me. The interface is fine, and I have authored some pretty cool ringtones on it. [​IMG]

6. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

Jason, you're right about the cellular industry in america - it's crazy. Anyway, you've got the GSM model of the v60, or the v60g. SIM cards are unique to GSM phones.

I'm beginning to play around with ringtones. My latest favorite is Sweet Child o' Mine, 007 Theme, and the Superman Theme. Although these are mostly just novelties...I mainly keep my phone on vibrate.

7. joe rizzuto

thanks guys!
    and peter, that was a great site, just what i was looking for. it appears to be canadian, which is great too. i must have done 4 seperate searches on cell phones and did not come up with that one.

8. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

No problem Joe. I believe I've combed the entire Motorola forum of www.howardforums.com for info on the v60c. If you decide on the v60, let me know if you have any questions. I've also got many of the accessories. And yes, the site has a heavy Canadian flavor (I believe Howard Chui, the owner, is Canadian-based). But I forgive them of that since the regular posters are very helpful. [​IMG]

9. joe rizzuto

was that a crack about canuks??
    the site was helpful and today i bought the lg tm520. i like it so far but i need to work on the manual, very poorly writen. thanks again people!

10. Bruce Chang

Bruce Chang Second Unit

Out of all the phones my friends had, everyone said that the 5190 nokia has the best reception. My nokia 8000 series suck, the V.60 on cingular sucks (according to my friend), Siemens was the only decent one. Maybe it's Cingular that sucks

11. Chris Smith

Chris Smith Stunt Coordinator