What's new

Celine Dion's new CD....what happen to the quality? (1 Viewer)

JimmyK

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
On Celine Dion's older CDs, the recording quality has been very good to excellent.

Yesterday I picked up her new CD "One Heart" and was very disappointed by the distorted, overly processed sound of the CD. Her voiced sounded as if it had been through several processors with the sound degrading each time.

I do like most of the music, but the quality of her new recording is sub par, IMO.

BTW, I find this true on too many other recordings as well. It really bugs me to spend good money for sub par recordings, especially when such purchases are non refundable.

If recording engineers aren't going to make recordings that take advantage of CD's capabilities, what's the point in buying into high resolution formats (ie DVD-A and SACD)? So we can better hear how crappy the original recording is??

And what's up with that Crysler ad that's part of the artwork inside?

(rant over)

Anyone else share this frustration?

JimmyK

Associated equipment:
Rotel CD player
Anthem AVM20 SSP
Hafler/Parasound amps
ADS/NHT/SVS speakers and sub

Clint B

Second Unit
I haven't heard this CD, but crappy recordings from Celine Dion are nothing new (and I'm not talking about engineering, mixing, producing, or mastering).

:)

JimmyK

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
Clint,

I happen to like her voice, although I've heard other's refer to her as "screamin' Dion":D

JimmyK

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
Before this becomes a "I hate Celine Dion" thread, I just want to emphasize the point of my post was to complain about the quality of recordings, not the quality of the artist.

I would almost be willing to give up my right to record anything if I could return a recording and get a full refund if I wasn't satisfied with it.

JimmyK

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I like some of Celine Dion's music, but I have been disappointed with the sound quality of many of her recordings. The A New Day Has Come CD is harsh, but the SACD is smoother. Still, a digital edge comes out on the SACD. I feel the same way about the A Decade of Song SACD.

Why am I not surprised that her latest album sounds overprocessed. Gee, that never happens with today's pop recordings. :rolleyes:If only everyone mastered like Steve Hoffman. :)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Colin, I wasn't going to say anything, but you're absolutely right. Some folks think that a thread criticizing sound quality is an opportunity to bash the artist. :rolleyes

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks