What's new

Celery dipped in peanut butter: explain this to me (1 Viewer)

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
I wish we had TJ's in South Florida. The Whole Foods market here is way overpriced as Jack mentioned. Although I have to admit I bought a NY Strip Steak from them and it was flavorful and very tender. Next time I'll try cooking it. :D

Rebekka Mikale

Auditioning
PB on celery is much tastier if the PB is applied to the softer, inner stalks vs. the tougher, stringier, bitter outer stalks.

Whenever I see those prepackaged PB and celery snacks in the store, they always look as if they contain the outer stalks. And the celery always looks old.

FWIW, I grew up in the celery capital of the world. heh.

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
My grandmother loved pickle relish and peanut butter sandwiches. When she became invalid I had to make them for her and I couldn't be more repulsed. I know food is a cultural and subjective subject but I had to stifle my gag reflex and keep concentrating on the task at hand like a doctor doing surgery. It was almost as bad as the head cheese, tongue, and mustard sandwiches.

Head cheese! tongue! Who the hell thought these up? Shouldn't they qualify as desperately hungry food? I couldn't imagine eating tongue. All I can think of is biting my own tongue. Yeesh....

Lowell_B

Second Unit
I don't think I've ever had Celery and PB, I'll have to try it sometime. Apple slices and Peanut Butter is good though. I always had Celery with Cream Cheese and Olive boats, now those are good if done right.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
I couldn't imagine eating tongue. All I can think of is biting my own tongue. Yeesh....
Mmmm, lengua tacos, yum! Now I'm getting hungry for Mexican food (though I prefer barbacoa*)

*People mistakenly call other things barbacoa, but it's *really* beef cheek, very tender, juicy and flavorful, perfect with just onions and cilantro

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
I love peanut butter - I could live on it. When I was a kid, I made peanut butter sandwiches with a slice of bologna on top. I thought it was great, but I haven't had one of these sandwiches for years and now don't want one.

Paul_Sjordal

Supporting Actor
The appeal of PB & celery isn't hard to fathom at all. You get the cool, crisp crunch of celery contrasted with the mushy, gooey nuttiness of peanut butter. What's not to love?

Honestly, it's one of the few ways I like celery.

Gregg Shiu

Second Unit
Real Name
Gregg Shiu
I used to love the stuff, it's fantastic. However, for some reason, ants on a log never seemed that appealing to me. The raisins always detracted from the taste that is... Peanut butter and celery. And, on a slightly more off topic note, has anyone here tried the $1.99 fat free nacho cheese at Trader Joes? I just started shopping there again after many years and reading this thread (thanks guys) and it's such an awesome place to get quality stuff. I was gonna be brave and buy some, but I detest stuff that should have fat in it being fat-free.

Jeremy Stockwell

Supporting Actor

Yeah, when I was a kid, I made Grape Jelly and Miracle Whip sandwiches. Stuff that we usually had on hand. I can't imagine that it tasted good. I think that I just pretended to like them.

JKS

David Susilo

Screenwriter
liking something (or not) is a very subjective and can't be argued. I find celery and PB gross, but there is no point in asking people why they like it.

I'd rather ask "why people like PB&J sandwich?" :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks