What's new

Celeron vs Pentium (1 Viewer)

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
What's the difference between these two?

I've been asked to build my girlfriend a computer, which I have no problem with. I just need to pick out the Motherboard, CPU, and case. all the rest will just be transferred out of another computer. Because she'll just be using it for every day surfing and work, I'm just going to stick with integrated audio and video. That said, I have a rather small budget for the above three items (not sure what it is yet), and am just starting my preliminary research for her.

So, what is the difference, and for what she's using it for, which would be better (performance and price wise)

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
what programs does she use for work?

i'd avoid a celeron, unless it really saves you a fair amount of money. ever looked into an AMD cpu? you may be able to get better performance for the money. if you have to go intel, you will get much better performance (at the same GHz) with a pentium 4 than a celeron. if you list your budget, i'm sure one of us can help you get the best performing hardware for the money spent.

CJ

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Just stick with a Celeron or a $300 Dell from HTF's Deals section.

If you go with a brand new motherboard + CPU you probably have to get new ram too.

Diallo B

Screenwriter

ditto, the above especially considering that your girl will probably not being doing any video editing or 3-d animation.

if she is then you need to be considering a p4 or athlon AMD.

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter

Well, I'm not too sure of the budget as of yet, as it will be her father who is paying for it, but I'm estimating no more than $500 CDN.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
I would look at a lower-end P4 or AMD instead of the celeron. Make sure you put money into the motherboard though. I went cheap with the motherboard and PSU on the first computer I built and regretted it for a long time (and ended up spending the money to upgrade both).

Nathan_F

Second Unit
Real Name
Nathan
From what you've said, and what she's going to use it for, a Celeron should be fine. What are you upgrading from? Are you sure all other components will transfer?

Mark Dubbelboer

Screenwriter
If you look at the small business dell canada site you can get a p4 2.8ghz w/out monitor for 499 canadian. Just check back every week or so until they have a free shipping deal. If you're lucky you can catch them on a free ram upgrade, free shipping offer.

mark

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

I do video editing on a Celeron laptop with a gig of memory all the time, so even that is not out of the question. (Granted, I'm not surfing the web, watching a DVD and running two or three other apps at the same time, but I doubt a Pentium or AMD clone would let you do all that, either. :))

Regards,

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks