1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Celebs and the paparazzi

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Gary->dee, Jun 10, 2003.

1. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

[​IMG]

Recently I was watching a show on E! that featured a bunch of celebrity run-ins with the paparazzi and the chaos that ensued. It was interesting watching the celebs flip, but what I'm wondering is, why do these celebs get mad? Afterall, they are famous people and the photographers have a job to do, which would be photographing famous people!

Certain celebs go out of their way to look stupid buy getting into fights or in the case of Demi Moore, covering her head with a shirt when they were photographing her in her car. Yeah real smart, Demi, lotta good that did. [​IMG]

So why would a star flip when the paparazzi is already capturing them on film or tape? It's after the fact unless the star demands to have the film confiscated(not sure that can be done anyway) there's not much that can be done other than go about your business and not look like a complete ass by trying to fight the paparazzi. Sure you can tell them to piss off but most of the time they don't listen, so again what's the use?

I love it when certain celebrities confront the paparazzi and ask them what they're doing. WTF? You seriously don't know what these people are doing and why they're doing it? Does fame bring an instant drop in a person's intelligence level? Then sometimes you've got someone in the celebs entourage, usually a relative or the boyfriend of their pal, almost attacking the paparazzi trying to get them to stop taking pictures as if E.T. was dying right in front of them and only their yelling can bring him back to life. Ok that was a pretty lame analogy but it's the first that came to mind.

Granted I understand the privacy issues, but usually the stars are being photographed in public places like outside clubs, restaurants, etc. You don't have to smile! Just go about your business and carry on without looking like an ass in front of plenty of cameras. Is that so difficult?

2. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

I have seen many footages of paparazzi's and camera crews getting right in the face of celebs. Some them actually look like they are seeking a reaction from their targets.

So no, IMO a lot of them aren't just taking pix.

--
    Holadem

3. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

Perhaps the celebs are trying to make the paparazzi think about what a lowlife piece of shit they are. Do people actually grow up thinking "someday I want to harass people and disrupt their privacy at every possible moment"? When they are attending a public event as a celebrity, by this I mean going to an award show or the like, it's acceptable, but if they're just going out for dinner with friends there's no call for it.

If doctors and lawyers are permitted to get upset about being asked for free advice outside of working hours then why can't celebs be upset about having their picture taken outside of their working hours and to top it off the photographer is the one that's going to get money for it?

4. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Supporting Actor

I don't think that it's a single instance that sets 'em off, but the fact that it is nearly always going on. Just the simple act of eating out... if people aren't staring and pointing at you, they're interrupting your meal to talk to you. Now anyone could handle that once, but all the time? I think you're just seeing the pot finally boil over.

But that is the price of fame... it's not like actors and singers just started getting this attention yesterday. If that's the line of work you're getting into, you have no excuse not to know what you may be in for. I'm not saying they deserve it or that it's right and proper for it to happen, but I am saying that it's the reality of the situation.

5. James T

James T Screenwriter

I'd be annoyed if I get no privacy. Imagine being on Survivor 24/7. Getting no privacy wherever you go.

Of course that's the price of fame, but people sometimes don't show respect. Plenty of celebrities have said that the biggest annoyance is no privacy and that the photographers put their kids, friends and family into the shots.

Much Music had a show where they followed a small paparazzi group. It was pretty insane. It was only 2 guys who were selling pictures of celebs to any paper willing to buy it. The episode Much Music was doing was when Tom Cruise was in town. The two of them knew every single move that Tom Cruise was making and was going to make. They knew about the decoy SUV and where it was pulling out of the hotel. Afterwards they showed shots of celebs they got in the area. I forget who they showed, but it was movie stars just doing simple things like buying food and shopping.

6. Scott L

Scott L Producer

It felt so good when Tommy Lee took that photographer's camera and threw it to his side, with the photographer still hanging on! lol!! Those guys are garbage, I wish there was a group that followed the paparzzi around taking pictures and making stories about them! I'm sure celebs would pay pretty good if a group were willing to do that. [​IMG]

btw- remember when Winona Ryder was trying to get into the courtroom for her theft trial? The paparzzi slugs were all over her and even broke her arm IIRC. Makes me sick..

7. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

8. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

Just becuase your famous doesnt mean you dont have to right to some privacy. Its different when ur walking on a red carpet than when ur walking ur kid to school(and their children shouldne be photographed without permission IMHO).
    Its not ok to climb bushes and sneak onto private property,photograph in windows and such.

If I was eating a meal and someone put a camera in my face and snapped a pic, Id break the camera over his head.

If Im walking down the street and someone asked to take my pic or for a autograph or whatever and I wouldnt have a problem with that - again as long as my family isnt involved.