What's new

Celebrity Encounters: Good or Bad? (1 Viewer)

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
For several summers while in college I worked as a parking valet for a high-end South Florida beach resort and hotel. Larry Hagman (and his wife) stayed for a few days once, and I had the privilege of getting his car for him several times. We made some small talk - mostly about the weather and such, but I remember him being very friendly and quick with a smile.

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
Yeah, I've heard good things about Hagman.

On the net I've read a similiar topic as this, but with British celebs. I can't think of the name, but there's one unfamiliar female personality who is like Lady Black Death to everyone--staff people, flight attendants, fans etc. A wonder how a so-called star can last with that kind of reputation. Among British stars though, Roger Moore seems the most beloved and respected--and Michael Caine. True gentlemen.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Joe Lugoff said:
When it comes to today's pop culture, a cave is a better place to be!
Those people were not part of today's pop culture. ;)

I've had a few celebrity encounters, but one that stands out is John Grisham. Although I've heard some negative things about him, I was approximately 1000th in a line of 1010 people at a book signing during the height of his popularity and he was very friendly and polite, happy to chat a bit and inscribe "see you in court!" in a book for my dad.

While I've never met Sarah Silverman, who is a relative, I have met her dad, who is a bit of a Twitter celebrity in these parts (https://twitter.com/RantsFromBoca). He likes to mock his overly entitled Boca neighbors. :)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
^^^

Small world. My cousins husband graduated with Sarah. Ran into her one time in a restaurant in California somewhere...was jovial even though it had been 13 years.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Mostly had encounters with Sports Celebrities

Joe Montana - Friendly but a bit distant at the same time. Not rude, overall a swell guy.

Reggie Jackson - Rude, unfriendly, grudgingly signed autographs, even though that was his main reason for being at function

David Robinson - Incredibly friendly, outgoing. Parked my car accross from his at local computer store. Came out and greeted me with friendly handshake.

Tim Duncan - Stood behind him at movie theater, waiting for popcorn. Wasn't really paying attention until I thought to myself "This guy in front of me is REALLY tall". Quiet guy, no one else noticed him either, if you can believe that.

Harmon Killebrew - had the pleasure to meet him about a year or two before his death. A true Hall of Famer, not only as a baseball player, but as a human being. Most humble sports celebrity ever.

Others: Kenny Loggins - friendly, quiet

The GoGo's - Met them backstage at a concert, all sweet, incredibly short, all of them.

Donald O'Connor - Got his autograph when I was young boy, very friendly

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I just remembered a chance encounter. The late 1980s, a friend of mine - a girl, but not "girlfriend" in the romantic sense, went to see a movie in Century City. My friend had told me not to let her buy ice cream at the snack bar because she was trying to lose weight. We were sitting in the theater before the movie started, and my friend was saying "I am going out to buy ice cream" and I said, "no, you're not!" and we had this little mock argument. Suddenly the woman sitting behind us leaned forward and said, "You two are so cute, but go buy her an ice cream, be a gentleman!" We turned back and it was Valerie Harper. We laughed and made small talk about ice cream with Ms. Harper until the movie started.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
A local bookstore is a magnet for big names (Dick Van Dyke, Billy Crystal etc.) but I'm not even curious to drop by and observe anymore. I was far more starstruck when younger, but I'm still game I guess for an unexpected encounter! I just don't seek them out.

----------------------

I think that all eventually clicks with most people. Celebrities, "stars", etc. are just regular people like the rest of us.

I'd certainly be polite and respectful if I met another celebrity, but there's nothing special about them, we're all just "people". They just happen to have different talents that some of us don't.

I'm talking about real celebrities, not the phonies who somehow have a huge fan base (Snooki, reality TV "stars", any of the "Housewives of ...", etc.).

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Stan said:
A local bookstore is a magnet for big names (Dick Van Dyke, Billy Crystal etc.) but I'm not even curious to drop by and observe anymore. I was far more starstruck when younger, but I'm still game I guess for an unexpected encounter! I just don't seek them out.

----------------------

I think that all eventually clicks with most people. Celebrities, "stars", etc. are just regular people like the rest of us.

I'd certainly be polite and respectful if I met another celebrity, but there's nothing special about them, we're all just "people". They just happen to have different talents that some of us don't.

I'm talking about real celebrities, not the phonies who somehow have a huge fan base (Snooki, reality TV "stars", any of the "Housewives of ...", etc.).
And you can add the so-called "royal" family to that list. They've never accomplished anything of value, and they're not even exceptional people in any way whatsoever. For centuries, they were what we now call a "reality show," and nothing more.

But some celebrities are hardly just "people." Isaac Asimov said when he was a teenager he saw Albert Einstein at a museum. No one approached him for his autograph. People just stood back and looked at him in a kind of awe. Now that's a far cry from Snooki.

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
Joe Lugoff said:
And you can add the so-called "royal" family to that list. They've never accomplished anything of value, and they're not even exceptional people in any way whatsoever. For centuries, they were what we now call a "reality show," and nothing more.

But some celebrities are hardly just "people." Isaac Asimov said when he was a teenager he saw Albert Einstein at a museum. No one approached him for his autograph. People just stood back and looked at him in a kind of awe. Now that's a far cry from Snooki.
Snooki....the anti-celebrity. :blink:

Celebrities are at the mercy of our perception of them. We can prostrate ourselves being in the presence of someone famous, even if that fame might be fleeting or hardly deserving (reality shows have debased the term celebrity to record depths). On the other hand, I can admire stars with a unique power. I was at a special event at a theater in 1990 where Carol Channing made an appearance. I can't say I'm a fan, but of all the other stars in attendance nobody could match her uncanny ability to dominate the whole theater, singing to us as if individuals in her company. That, plus someone of awesome accomplishment as an Einstein, creates a special aura that can make for a genuinely memorable encounter.

An indignant "Don't you know who I am?" is the refuge of deluded egotists. :rolleyes:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
A good friend of mine had Bob Seger pass him on the freeway a couple of weeks ago when my friend was driving in northern Michigan on his way to a fishing trip. My friend gave him a thumbs up, and Seger returned the gesture with a grin and a friendly nod of the head. This caused us to ponder a very deep question: when Bob Seger is driving alone, does he listen to his own music? :lol:

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
schan1269 said:
^^^

Small world. My cousins husband graduated with Sarah. Ran into her one time in a restaurant in California somewhere...was jovial even though it had been 13 years.
A buddy of mine from NYC hung out with her at a party years before we met. (In turn, when I moved to Florida, I worked with a cousin of his whom he'd never met, and I live right near his parents, whom he visits frequently -- he and the cousin are well-acquainted now. :) )

Back on celebrities, I went to high school with Bridget Moynahan and Aaron Lewis (the singer from Staind). Bridget I didn't really know; she was a jock and I, to put it mildly, was not. ;) I think we had one or two classes together (small school). I knew Aaron since we were both involved with the music and theater groups. Mellow dude. Haven't seen either of them in 20+ years, though.

Jacksmyname

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack Walder
Way back in '67, I was in a recording studio with the group I was singing with.
After the guys put down the music, I was on the studio floor singing.
In the middle of the song, I happened to look up and saw Huntz Hall in the booth (he was friends with the engineer). I had become a big fan of the Dead End Kids/Bowery Boys when I was a kid, so meeting Mr. Hall was a kick for me. As soon as I had finished the take I was doing, I went into the booth and asked for his autograph.
He was very gracious, and we spent some time talking. Nice guy.

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
This topic would not be complete without including Huntz Hall! Good to know he was a good guy to meet; I read that he was anything but the dimbulb he appeared to be opposite Leo Gorcey!

I wish I had more encounters to share, but most happened when I was quite young. I recall crashing backstage after a performance of NO NO NANETTE and facing a somewhat blank faced Ruby Keeler, as she looked at me while a throng gathered. Over the years in Manhattan I'd collect celebrity sightings, but nothing very dramatic--in '79 I saw Woody Allen walking with Mia Farrow, some years later Hal Holbrook waiting for a taxi, Jane Alexander rushing out of a pharmacy, Ed Harris nonchalantly walking uptown, George C. Scott, with his distinctively gravely voice, chatting with someone on Broadway, John Gielgud (looking surprisingly tall) walking the same street. What was the common thread here was at no time did I want to approach any of them, since they were simply going on with their lives. I spotted Andy Warhol loitering by a store window, as if he wanted to be noticed! I once saw Ron Howard pushing or accompanying a stroller in Manhattan and he knew darn well I recognized him, but I let him pass. :)

One time I was taking the escalator up, in the Trump Tower, and decending opposite me in hat and sunglasses was Johnny Carson, who I'm sure was in no mood to be uncovered by a bright "Heeey Johnnny!" from me.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
John Astin - met him at a local Borders book store during the 90s when he was promoting his Edgar Allan Poe one man show. He was very gracious to the crowd that showed up and signed autographs and shook hands. I remember looking very good for a man in his mid/late 60s (this was before I knew he wore a piece) and that he used his "handlers" as an excuse to leave when it was time to go.

A.C. Lyles - was very sorry to read of his recent passing. This guy was known only to movie buffs but was a treasure trove of stories and Hollywood history. I met him at a outdoor function in 2007 when he was pushing 90. As always, he was dressed to the nines and treated everyone with respect and like a friend.

George W. Bush - attended an event where he spoke briefly and did a handshake thing afterwards and so I literally was up close and personal and was impressed that he made eye contact with each person (I've seen other political types look over people or have a blank look in their eyes). The funny thing I remember is that he had really hairy ears.

Various Country Music singers - I am a fan of what is commonly called "classic country" (artists who had many hits in the 40s - 60s). These singers almost never retire - they perform until they pass or their health goes south. Many of them also do/did "meet and greets" after their concerts and so I've met/chatted with a fair number of them. Most were sincerely gracious & accessible and the ones that stand out in my mind are Hank Thompson, Porter Wagoner, Jimmy Dickens, Bill Anderson, and Kitty Wells/Johnnie Wright.

Fred Thompson - got my picture made with him once. He was a commanding physical presence but seemed a bit aloof with the crowd of people he was supposed to be conversing with.

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
Interesting array of celebrities, Steve!

I wonder if this qualifies...I once had my picture taken with Frank Perdue! Anyone recognize this once common visage on TV, selling his chicken products? In the northeast anyway--not sure of elsewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks