celebrity deaths...and the inevitable marketing sales

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Ted Lee, Nov 19, 2003.

1. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

so i just noticed the "three's company" banner on one of the forums. this got me wondering.

why is it that when celeb's die, you can just about bet your paycheck that some sort of commemorative, best-of, whatever will be available for sale.

is there a legal reason behind this? maybe the celeb dies, so the property rights go to someone else? it's "out of the hands" of the celeb...so to speak?

now, i suppose some people will appreciate the effort and consider it a way to commemorate the passing of the individual...but i'm really doubting that's what the marketing guys are thinking.

i can't help but think it's just another way for someone to make a quick buck "while the gettin's hot".

2. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

you ain't seen any marketing yet, like when Elvis really dies [​IMG]

3. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ

4. Paul_Medenwaldt

Paul_Medenwaldt Supporting Actor

I think it's the American way to capitalize on a celebrity's death. Geffen Records, for years tried to milk the Kurt Cobain death with releases of "lost" tracks.

I don't mean to hi-jack this thread, but I have a question about celebrity deaths. For example, people still believe that Elvis is alive and i'm sure there are many other conspiracy theories regarding many other celebrities who are dead, but are rumored to be alive. My question is this, is there a precedent where a celebrity was announced to be dead, but some time later turned up alive?

My theory is that there must be the one case in history that for some reason started the phenomenon about celebrities faking their deaths, which then this one story contributes to the nonsense of the Elvis urban legend.

Paul

5. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i'm not sure about the faking their own deaths thing, but i think a reason a lot of sightings occur is because of their "unwillingness" to let that person go.

elvis was so popular, it was just beyond belief (to some) that he could actually be gone. same thing with bruce lee, etc....

6. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Ahem....I just purchased the "Three's Company" DVD last night. In this case, the DVD was going to be released anyway and John Ritter was to provide audio commentary on the DVD. I guess it was just unfortunate it happened this way....

7. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i think that's different danny. you were going to buy it anyway. so, it was just coincidence for you.

i guess i'm referring more to the marketing/sales people then the consumers. i feel like those guys are exploiting someone's death for profit...

8. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

Paul, I don't want to close this thread, but there have been some who doubted certain claims of certain major religions about people rising from the dead

On a slightly less controversial note, Dracula keeps coming back, in movie after movie... [​IMG]

9. D. Scott MacDonald

D. Scott MacDonald Supporting Actor

10. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Paul: Mark Twain (aka. Samuel Clemens, Samuel Clements) was reported dead by several newspapers when he was, in fact, alive. Mr. Twain himself was confused as to why one newpaper spoke of his murder and another spoke of suicide.

11. JamieD

JamieD Supporting Actor

Capitalism, Whoo.

12. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

And yet nobody re-released the Traveling Wilburys CDs after George Harrison died. I mean, there are some cases where a little cashing it would be appreciated (they go for $35 each at used record stores around here)!

13. Bill Williams

Bill Williams Screenwriter

Not to mention the fact that Tupac Shakur's been dead for almost 10 years, and they still keep releasing new CDs of his music.

14. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

Paul McCartney was rumored dead... But even after dropping a magician encased in a plexiglass cube on him, he's still alive and kicking....

Yet, I still have a hard time believing the individual whom authored "Silly Little Love Songs" is genetically related to the composer of "Let it Be".