Celebration, Florida "Invaded" By Segways

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Peter Kline, Jan 24, 2003.

1. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

62 residents of this Disney designed town in Orlando are the new owners of the Segway HT. They will be literally testing the scooters for the next year, keeping logs about useage and will also be supplied with longer range batteries then currently used once they are available. The amazing thing is that both Segway and Disney are not trumpeting this in the media. The town of Celebration has a website:

http://www.celebrationfl.com/

And you can read residents reaction at the following forum:

http://www.segwaychat.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=3

2. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

Celebration is a nice little town, where-

1. The homes cost twice as much as anywhere else in Orlando, per sq. ft.
    2. Lots of front porches and parks, and NO ONE ever sits on them.[​IMG]

I've spent some time there. Max's Grille was nice, until they got rid of the Pepper Club sandwich. We even looked at homes, until the price came up. No "working family" in Orlando could even consider living there.

They've always trumpeted technology, though. Neighborhood electric cars have been around since the beginning (1994).

Maybe I can talk a resident into letting me try one out.[​IMG]

Todd

3. Peter Kline

Todd,

What's a Pepper Club Sandwich, sounds interesting.

Peter

4. Todd Hochard

Their Pepper Club was-

Spicy Turkey (much like the Sausolito Boar's Head from Publix), Pepper Jack cheese, Bacon fried w/fresh ground pepper, lettuce, tomato, some spicy mayo stuff, on a rye/pumpernickel swirled bread.

Yummy. I asked why they got rid of it. "Well, we like to change frequently." To which I replied, "then you'll understand when I do the same.[​IMG]"

Celebration's Theatre is pretty nice, too. It's AMC, only 2 stadium seated medium sized rooms, but the sound was always nice. I haven't been for a few years, since the Regal near me is nice (and I live on the other side of town), and I use Pleasure Island for "event" movies showing in DLP.

I sure would like to have a nice Mediterranean home facing the golf course, though (I don't golf- it's just nice to look at a vast expanse of well-kept green that you don't have to cut.[​IMG] ) Anyone got $900,000K or so they'd like to give me?[​IMG] You can be sure I'd sit on the front porch in evening being neighborly!

Todd

5. Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison Screenwriter

Randy
    I rode a Segway on a recent Disney cruise, and I can honestly say that if I could afford it, I would own one.

The same could be said about homes in Celebration, FL, as well.

6. MickeS

MickeS Producer

That place scares me. [​IMG]

7. Zane Charron

Zane Charron Second Unit

Well, Celebration would be a whole thread in it's own (which I would love to discuss), but I guess if there is going to be a place to test a Segway for a year that would be a good one.

8. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

Old people riding Segways in Orlando? Oh shit, they are bad enough with their cars... we'sa all gonna die! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Oh and Todd, I agree that Pleasure Island is the finest theatre in Orlando... great sound and picture (I especially like when they have their "Flashback" midnight showings [this fall I saw 'Beetlejuice' and 'Jurassic Park' there]). Too bad it takes me 40 minutes to get there because of that mish-mash of a road called I-4 [​IMG]

Actually, a Segway would be REALLY useful for getting from class to class! Why don't they give me one? [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

crap, what was that movie with jim carrey... you know, the manufactured town. CRAP I hate when this happens

10. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

The Truman Show? [​IMG]

11. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

yeahyeah

reading about celebration reminds me of that movie [​IMG]

12. Zane Charron

Zane Charron Second Unit

The Truman Show (one of my favorite films) was shot not in Celebration but rather in another "manufactured" Florida town called Seaside, on the Panhandle coast. It broke ground in the early 80's as a model town for the "New Urbansim". Unfortunately, it's simply become a vacation town for the rich, who buy expensive homes there to stay at a few weeks out of the year. So it's turned into a rich resort/tourist destination.

Cool place, but not a "real" town in the sense that we know it.

13. Don_Houle

Don_Houle Stunt Coordinator

Don
    I had the opportunity to try out a Segway last weekend. All I can say is - COOL!

Here's a link to the story:

Segway Demo in Brooklyn NY - SegwayChat Forum

My user ID is dahoule on that forum.

There's a lot of negativity about the Segway of late, due in part to their being banned from the streets of San Francisco. But I promise you, if you take a test ride, you'll want one!

14. Peter Kline

Celebration = "Stepford Wives"? [​IMG]

P.S. Don, I'm pkradd at the Segway forum.

15. Todd Hochard

16. Don_Houle

Don_Houle Stunt Coordinator

Don
    Todd, I believe you're correct about the San Fran ban. The Segways have been banned from using sidewalks - supposedly due to the dangers they pose to pedestrians.

Peter, it's good to "meet" other Segway enthusiasts! See you on Segwaychat!

17. Michael St. Clair

My best friend from my youth lives in Celebration. I have spent a fair amount of time there and it is 'interesting' to say the least. It's a nice place but too surreal for me to live there.

And the planners/designers of Celebration did visit Seaside for certain ideas/inspiration, so similarities to The Truman Show are not coincidental.

As far as Segways go, they don't belong on sidewalks in busy urban areas (ditto for bicycles and skates). I'm all for banning them from everywhere but the suburbs.

18. Peter Kline

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Contact Information:
    Carla Vallone
    Phone: 866-473-4929
    [email protected]

*Segway LLC Initiates Community Study of Segway? HT Riders

MANCHESTER, N.H. - January 28, 2003 ? Segway LLC announced today that it is beginning a community study to observe the impact and benefits resulting from a concentrated number of people using Segway? Human Transporters (HTs). During the yearlong study, which begins on February 1, 2003 in Celebration, Florida, Segway will observe how and when people use their Segway HTs to commute to work, improve their mobility and how riders interact with their community and neighbors.

"The Segway Community Study will help Segway learn more about its consumers and how to maximize the benefits of the Segway HT," said Morgan Smith, Brand Manager, Segway LLC. "The data we gather will also help us to refine rider orientation requirements and further evaluate the interactions between Segway HT riders and other pedestrians."

The community study is open to qualified individuals who live or work in Celebration, Fla. Once selected, participants have the opportunity to purchase a Segway HT i167 model, complete rider orientation and receive immediate delivery of their Segway HTs. Participants are required to complete written questionnaires and one-on-one interviews about their experiences throughout the yearlong study. Those who complete the full study requirements will earn a partial refund on the $4,950 retail price of a Segway HT i167 model.

Segway selected Celebration, Fla. as the site of the study because of the town's commitment to community development, its infrastructure of sidewalk and trails, and their enthusiasm for zero-emission transportation alternatives. Many Celebration residents have already adopted the use of Neighborhood-Electric-Vehicles (NEVs), which are sold locally by NEVrland, Inc.

Segway teamed up with NEVrland to recruit study participants and NEVrland will be the sole provider of on-site Segway warranty service for study participants at Celebration.

The first group of study participants receive rider orientation and delivery of their Segway HTs this week. Segway will continue to accept applications for the community study through February.

About Segway

Segway LLC is a Manchester, NH, based business founded by renowned inventor and entrepreneur Dean Kamen to provide a solution to short-distance travel. The company has created the Segway? Human Transporter (HT), the first self-balancing, electric-powered transporter designed to enhance the productivity of people by increasing the distance they can travel and the amount they can carry. Segway is funded by: Credit Suisse First Boston Private Equity, one of the largest managers of alternative assets in the world, through Credit Suisse First Boston Equity Partners, L.P. and associated funds; Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, the leading venture capital firm helping entrepreneurs build sustainable technology businesses; and individual investors. For additional information about Segway, please visit our web site at: www.segway.com. Press releases and digital images are available at Segway's press center at: www.segway.com/news.

Segway is a trademark of Segway LLC in the United States and in other countries.

19. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer
    Supporter

The community study is open to qualified individuals who live or work in Celebration, Fla. Once selected, participants have the opportunity to purchase a Segway HT i167 model....
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Community study? Looks like just another way to sell Segways. Marketing disguised as research. The methods companies employ to extract dollars out of people's pockets just keep coming.

20. Peter Kline

Edwin,

You're just jealous!

Seriously, the negative response to Segway has become so frenzied in some quarters that it is almost funny. Why such hostility? You can keep your gas guzzling, polluting SUV. Nobody wants to take it away from you. But some see alternate modes of travel intriguing. There is along history of anger at techological advances or changes. Keep the autogyro (the car) off the roads! they said. It is a menace! Sound in films? Who needs it! Etc., etc., etc.

Peter