What's new

Pre-Order Celebrating Mickey (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

WaltWiz1901

Agent
Real Name
Ryan Bannon
The lack of consistency is the most frustrating aspect of it all.
Come to think of it...
- The problems with the over-restoration of Steamboat Willie (grain removal, smeary, smoothed out visuals, and fake imperfections) are made even more obvious in HD
- The Band Concert has some admittedly faint grain, but the colors are much darker and the opening titles have been faked (they couldn't even bother to make a deal with whoever owned that original release print?! For shame...)
- Thru the Mirror suffers from desaturated colors, grain removal, smeary visuals during pans, and a fake title card
- Starting with Mickey's Rival, most of the shorts begin to look a lot like their Treasures transfers (minus a sliver of additional picture information, mild cropping on some or all sides of the frame, and/or different colors)
- Boat Builders looks - to put it bluntly - weird (I initially thought the grain was left intact; little did I know that the grain-like structures I saw were actually cel dust)
- Mickey's Trailer is by far the best-looking short on the disc; the grain hasn't been scrubbed away, the colors are brighter than most of, and the recreated title sequence doesn't look that bad
...yeah, you're not wrong.

Contrary to what many of the posts in this thread have implied, there are some visible grain structures present in most of the shorts (Steamboat Willie (how ironic that the most historically significant short in this compilation is also one of the worst-looking!), Thru the Mirror, and Boat Builders are unfortunately the odd ones out). Overall, the transfers used on this disc (most of which are permeated by recreated titles and some of which suffer from duller colors) are a mixed bag.....

Last edited:

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
...yeah, you're not wrong.

This is one time I wish I were wrong and Disney had gone the distance to make them all look as good as they can, especially for the 90th anniversary of Mickey's debut.* I wonder whether they're saving the real restorations for Disney+. Who knows where physical media will be in 2028, the year of Mickey's Centennial, or what form it will take.

There'll probably be something really big for the 100th anniversary of the company in 2023. Iger will be retired by then. Let's see if he keeps his promise this time and whether any of his currently designated successors are still around to actually take over.

*They stopped calling them "birthdays" sometime around the switch from Miller to Eisner; Donald Duck's 50th birthday in 1984 used that word IIRC. Why didn't Goofy get anything for his 50th in 1982?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks