What's new

Pre-Order Celebrating Mickey (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Arthur Powell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arthur
Mickey's a tough character to program for because almost all of his best shorts and starring roles are in black and white. And kids hate black and white.
g
It's been a problem for as long as home video existed; Avoid black-and-white shorts and you'll just have hour-long Mickey compilations where he's on-screen for 12 minutes at best.
This was even an issue during the days when Disney was selling 8mm prints of selected cartoons. They specifically said that they were avoiding the black and white cartoons. What was ironic about that is that they were offering the cartoons in both color and black and white editions. So, Disney wouldn't offer any of the black and white cartoons, but it would sell a black and white print of one of the color cartoons? :huh:
As for the selection, it's not bad. Given the screen captures I have seen in this thread though, I want to read the reviews before purchasing. I can see already that my collection WDT DVDs won't be displaced from my shelf any time soon.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
The problem with most of the later Technicolor Mickeys is that they're basically Pluto cartoons with Mickey being there briefly to set up the action.

And of the post-Walt theatrical shorts, few as there are to begin with, I'm surprised Runaway Brain isn't included.

Like Arthur said, I want to see what they actually look like on the disc before I even bother to buy it used.

ThadK

Second Unit
Almost all of these have showed up via the "Get a Laugh" cutdowns that have been airing on Disney Channel or are up on YouTube. They're all HD so they'll obviously be the same transfers used here, so viewing those will give you an idea of the garbage de-grained and diarrhea color quality of this release.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Mickey's a tough character to program for because almost all of his best shorts and starring roles are in black and white. And kids hate black and white.

It's been a problem for as long as home video existed; Avoid black-and-white shorts and you'll just have hour-long Mickey compilations where he's on-screen for 12 minutes at best.

Kids hate B&W? Never really had that as a problem with that any more than the whole P/S - Letterbox issue that was always blamed on kids not liking the black bars. My kids liked funny regardless of color/BW/Aspect ratio. Stooges, Porky Pig, Lucy, Shirley Temple, Andy Griffith -- never had much of an issue and just explained "That;s the way they were made back in the old days" and everything was fine.

Last edited:

Arthur Powell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arthur
The problem with most of the later Technicolor Mickeys is that they're basically Pluto cartoons with Mickey being there briefly to set up the action.

And of the post-Walt theatrical shorts, few as there are to begin with, I'm surprised Runaway Brain isn't included.

Like Arthur said, I want to see what they actually look like on the disc before I even bother to buy it used.

My understanding is that some of the Disney execs were/are embarrassed by Runaway Brain. I guess that they don't like the corporate logo being shown as a slacker turned into a raging monster who goes on a King Kong-style pursuit of Minnie. :D I'm actually surprised to learn that the short was included as a digital extra on that compilation of modern shorts. It would have made sense to have included it here, but here's another reason why I'm glad to have my WDT discs.

Ken_Martinez

BANNED
Real Name
Ken
Kids hate B&W? Never really had that as a problem anymore then the P/S - Letterbox issue that was always blamed on kids not likeing the black bars. My kids liked funny regardless of color/BW/Aspect ratio. Stooges, Porky Pig, Lucy, Shirley Temple, Andy Griffith -- never had much of an issue "That;s the way they were made back in the old days" and everything was fine.

That's the conventional executive wisdom.

It's been that way for decades. Even when Disney put out their collector-oriented Limited Gold tapes in the 80's, they refused to put more than one B/W short on a collection.

It says something that Disney would put a modern-day homage to the B/W era, but only one of the real McCoy.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
My understanding is that some of the Disney execs were/are embarrassed by Runaway Brain. I guess that they don't like the corporate logo being shown as a slacker turned into a raging monster who goes on a King Kong-style pursuit of Minnie. :D

Yeah, probably because it hits too close too home. A giant Frankenmouse grabbing everything in sight…gee, where'd they come up with the idea for that?

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I can see already that my collection WDT DVDs won't be displaced from my shelf any time soon.

Regardless of what comes out from now until the day I die, those tins will never leave my shelf. I just need to track down two more, which will cost me an arm and a leg, but that's something to pass down to the kids (if i ever have them).

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Regardless of what comes out from now until the day I die, those tins will never leave my shelf. I just need to track down two more, which will cost me an arm and a leg, but that's something to pass down to the kids (if i ever have them).

Which two are you missing? I just need Zorro Volume 2 which I see on eBay fairly often, and one day I'll pull the trigger on that.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
The original artwork isn't going to reflect what the final film, after shooting, processing, etc. is going to look like as far as color timing. But it sure will tell you about the different choices and techniques used in creating the artwork, certainly-- and that these new hatchet jobs in HD are flattened so they'll look more like whatever digital DizNey TV shows they're pumping out these days.

Quick screenshot comparisons for "Tortoise and the Hare". Top is from the 2001 Disney Treasures DVD, the bottom is from the HD copy currently on Netflix. This is supposed to be a nice Technicolor Oscar-winner...

View attachment 48907

View attachment 48880

So why did they decide a sunny, happy forest should have all the allure of a post-apocalyptic bunker? These people should be ashamed of themselves.

I don't think this is all that definitive, the first one, from the Treasure DVDs, the sky has the kind of color artifacting you get when your colorist boosts the saturation of SD color gamut media past 135% in symphony. It also looks like it's had aggressive digital contrast adjustments and a medium amount of digital sharpening.

That is not to say that the lower contrast, lower saturation second image is correct, it may or it may not be. But I will say that the lower contrast image is consistent with what I've seen when I've seen 35mm prints of these shorts.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
That's the conventional executive wisdom.

It's been that way for decades. Even when Disney put out their collector-oriented Limited Gold tapes in the 80's, they refused to put more than one B/W short on a collection.

It says something that Disney would put a modern-day homage to the B/W era, but only one of the real McCoy.

It's true. Look at the play lists for the Limited Gold and Cartoon Classics series and count how many B&W shorts there are per release. Even into the DVD era, the non-Treasures releases are just as color-centric. You'd think that would have changed over the years.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Get A Horse (2013)
Get A Horse?

Why?

Frozen is probably the best-selling Blu-ray of all time, or very close to it, I would imagine. Therefore, the number of people who already own this short on that set is extremely high, and the majority of people who will buy this (hardcore Disney fans) probably also own that. It just seems unnecessary to include it again if this is not a complete set. There's nothing wrong with Get A Horse as a short, but since this disc is only highlights and not comprehensive, I would've preferred to get something else which I don't already have in place of it.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I lied...it's just one. The third Donald Duck set. I forgot I picked up the first Silly Symphonies a few years ago.

I occasionally stumble on a Treasures set at used bookstores, etc. I make no promises but if I ever see a Donald Vol 3, I’ll let you know!

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Get A Horse?

Why?

Frozen is probably the best-selling Blu-ray of all time, or very close to it, I would imagine. Therefore, the number of people who already own this short on that set is extremely high, and the majority of people who will buy this (hardcore Disney fans) probably also own that. It just seems unnecessary to include it again if this is not a complete set. There's nothing wrong with Get A Horse as a short, but since this disc is only highlights and not comprehensive, I would've preferred to get something else which I don't already have in place of it.

Well-said. No slam on the short, which was very entertaining and well-made, but it would have been nice to get another new-to-Blu-ray cartoon.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I wish they'd release a Blu-ray of their 3D shorts. If you took all of the recent ones that screened before features and then included the two from the early 1950's it would make a nice compilation. I just want to see Working for Peanuts and Melody in 3D. :( I know that Working for Peanuts was shown briefly in the parks, but I didn't get to see it. It's a shame that they aren't running it at the theater in Epcot instead of the new shorts that most people have seen, likely fairly recently and at home.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Just in case -- Working for Peanuts 3D is available on Disc though it's not the easiest or cheapest thing to find. It certainly would be be nice to get a Full Disc or Releases, but some things are less likely than others.

It's a demo disc from the UK "3D Showcase Disc" and pops up on Ebay fairly regularly -- I've seen Used prices from $15-50 over the the last year. I think I paid 20 something for mine.
It only runs 22 minutes, but it is unique.

In addition it has Timon and Pumbaa's 3D Showcase
Trailers for A Christmas Carol, Alice in Wonderland, Toy Story 3
Clips of A Christmas Story, G-Force, and Nightmare Before Christmas

Also a fairly short thread
https://www.hometheaterforum.com/co...as-working-for-peanuts-on-blu-ray-3-d.341571/

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I wish they'd release a Blu-ray of their 3D shorts. If you took all of the recent ones that screened before features and then included the two from the early 1950's it would make a nice compilation. I just want to see Working for Peanuts and Melody in 3D. :( I know that Working for Peanuts was shown briefly in the parks, but I didn't get to see it. It's a shame that they aren't running it at the theater in Epcot instead of the new shorts that most people have seen, likely fairly recently and at home.

The Pixar Short Films Festival at EPCOT is the one thing I don't feel bad about skipping on my trips. I've seen the shorts in the theater, have the released BD and went to the festival last year. I don't need to do it again unless there's new shorts.

Or the weather is crazy, stupid hot and I need a break. (Though, if that's the case, I'd assume just ride Spaceship Earth or Living with the Land a few times.)

Scamp

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
Get A Horse?

Why?

Totally agree; would have much preferred to see Runaway Brain included vs Get A Horse. As has been said, Get A Horse is a fine animated short; was disappointed when it didn't win the Oscar, but it's already out there on blu-ray. We should have had Runaway Brain on blu when the Disney Short Films collection was released, but Disney chose to only include it as a digital extra. Would have been nice to see them include it on this release since they passed over the opportunity to do it then.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks