Ceiling Type

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gordon Parr, Nov 30, 2001.

1. Gordon Parr

Gordon Parr Auditioning

I am in the final stages of drawing the plans to my HT (20x15) and I need to know from you experienced ones how the style of the ceiling should be. I do not want a flat ceiling. I am looking at either a barrel (rounded - cathedral style) or a tray style.

Could you folks give me some good advise on how I should approach this?

Many thanks!!!

Gordon

2. Brett Robert

Brett Robert Agent

. From what I have heard about anything curved in a theater stay away. I got a lot of flack about my ceiling and it is not that drastic. A ceiling plays a large roll in the acoustics of a room. I guess that it doesn’t diffuse the sound evenly. I love barrel vaults It would be cool to have one but at what cost? I haven't noticed any negative aspects to what I did. But the room isn't done and I haven't heard it any other way

3. Larkin Crutcher

Larkin Crutcher Auditioning

Gordon

A vaulted ceiling that uses acoustic tile is a better choice. A barrel ceiling will tend to focus the sound along a line along its length and secondly it difficult to construct with highly absorptive material. You should also calculate the overall reverb time using Fritroy formula to make sure the reverb time is not to high.

Larkin

4. Leo

Leo Second Unit

I went with a trey ceiling (kind of force to due to the duct work) made up of 5/8in sheet fire core sheet rock in my basement. I also put in a 6in octagon where a future DLP unit will hang. There's are hidden panel to hide the HDTV wiring that I routed up there when building the room. The insulation is acoustic insulation throughout the walls & ceilings.