Ceiling surrounds

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joseph_W, Jan 6, 2002.

1. Joseph_W

Joseph_W Stunt Coordinator

My wife's cousin is buying a killer condo on the water and wants a HT sound system to match. He wants 7.1 (although he doesn't know what that means!) but he has no way of putting surround and rears anywhere but in the ceiling!!

His installer uses Speaker Craft, Snell, Linn, Revel, etc.

Will he be OK? Will a system with a good front stage and ceiling surounds work?

Any experience will be appreciated.

Joe

2. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt
    I actually have the same problem. The only place that I can put my rear speakers is the ceiling. But I have no idea how that will sound, or if there will be a delay. My ceiling is about 9-10 feet high.

Vlad

3. Joseph_W

Vlad,

These speakers will be at 8 feet. There is a 9 foot concrete ceiling that must be dropped to 8 for the speakers in this area.

Joe

4. Gordon B

Gordon B Agent

I have two sets of side surrounds (one for 5 channel music and one for movies) and a set of rears for movies. The sides are 11 feet up; the rears are at 13 and 15 feet. The results for music surrounds vary, depending on your location. In the sweet spot for stereo music, you definitely get the sensation that you have speakers over your head. Outside the sweet spot, they seem to diffuse very well and sound great. So I always use two channel when sitting in the spot and limit 5 channel to when I am moving around the house while listening. For movies, the higher sides and rears are great on ambient sounds. When you have rain falling or birds chirping, you really get enveloped. On more directional effects, you can localize the side speakers as being above your head but the rears work very well on boath ambient and directional sounds.

5. Steve Wilcox

Steve Wilcox Auditioning

It will work, but you might have to play with it to get the surround effect you want. I had to install my surrounds in a 10' ceiling (Klipsch IC-650's); they're even with the listening area (not behind it) and separated by about 11'. I have the surround tweeters pointed in at the listening area, so they're more directional while I play around with DPLII music; I may change that though. The fronts are DIVA 2.1's and a DIVA C3, and the whole package sounds A-OK. I'd prefer to sit a bit in front of the surrounds, but otherwise, can't complain.

6. Joseph_W

Thanks Steve and Gordon,

I'm sure it will sound fine. I too prefer listening to music in the sweet spot with two speakers. I'll let you all know how it turns out, but move in time for him is March 2003!!

Joe