What's new

Ceiling Stereo Speaker Hook-up (1 Viewer)

skip marr

Stunt Coordinator
I need to know if this will work. Some in ceiling speaker manufacturers make a ceiling speaker designed for small areas, that actually have 2 tweeters and one woofer. The tweeters shoot out at oposite diirections, providing the stereo imaging.

What I want to do is replace my 2 ceiling speakers in the kitchen, one left and one right. If I wire the new speakers, then loop the wire to the other tweeter, will I get a broader range of sound spread out throughout the room?

Has anyone any experience in this, or advise me accordingly? Thanks.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Your post isn’t terribly clear, Skip:
That sounds like you only want to use the tweeter of the second speaker – which of course, makes no sense.

It would be helpful if you could provide a link to the speakers you’re talking about.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
In my house I have two C600tt speakers from Proficient Audio (Click the link for info Wayne) which I am very happy with and would recommend. These are single source stereo speaker. I have them wired through wall volume controls that I picked up at Parts Express, these do impedance matching for multiple speakers. I'm using a 30wpc JVC stereo receiver that I bought circa 1983 to power them and they sound fine.

There aren't just two tweeters in the package, the woofer is a dual voice coil design, so each "speaker" operates as a full range stereo pair. If you want you could simply wire them parrallel or series. For information on that, click on this link and read the "Series/Parallel Basics" section, number 38. You have to make sure your system can handle the load, whatever it is going to be, because you're hooking two speakers to each of the leads. In my situation I just used the impedance matching volume controls.

(aside - I hooked them up out of phase by accident at first and they sounded absolutely terrible! The two voice coils on the woofer were fighting each other!)

If you get some good quality in-ceiling speakers you will be surprised at how good they can sound. My proficients don't sound like floorstanders or bookshelves mind you, but they sound much more hi-fi than I expected when I bought them, and the channel in the ceiling between beams ends up being a good enclosure (I think it would qualify as an infinite baffle situation, something I have a lot of experience with).

I think the best way to go for your situation would be to hook each speaker up as L/R pair. I think that would really fill your area with sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks