Ceiling speakers for surround

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Blaine P, Feb 25, 2004.

1. Blaine P

Blaine P Agent

I will be forced to use in-ceiling speakers for the 3 rear surrounds in my 6.1 HT. I will be using Paradigm Atoms and CC-170 in front. My ceiling is 9 feet tall with each rear speaker 2 to 3 feet behind the listener.

My question: is it more important to have timbre matching surrounds (i.e.-Paradigm CS-50R) or comparable surrounds with an aimable tweeter (Niles, etc.) for HT?

I have heard conflicting reviews about this. The Paradigm dealer (i.e.-salesman) stated that the Paradigms had a wider dispersion and did not need to be aimed. Others swear by the aimable tweeters.

Any thoughts are grossly appreciated.

2. Blaine P

Blaine P Agent

~bump~ (getting itchy to buy and need your help)

3. JoeHard

JoeHard Stunt Coordinator

I have a friend who has in ceilings for his surrounds to go with Def Tech front speakers. I have listened to his system many times and feel his surrounds without a pivoting tweeter are a week link. His speakers are about 3-4 feet behind his main listening area(couch). I don't think there is anything wrong with ceiling speakers, but I would choose speakers with the aimable tweeters. In his case I believe the rears are to diffuse. Good luck.

4. Blaine P

Blaine P Agent

Thanks, I was wondering about that issue - especially since most agree that timbre-matching to the main speakers is not all that critical.