What's new

Ceiling speakers came with the house. Two are in the living room (1 Viewer)

Packard76

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian Packard
We just bought a house which comes with a whole home stereo system. There are 12 speakers in total placed in stereo pairs throughout the house. Two of these speakers are close to, if not dead center in the living room which is also where the connections for these speakers live. The house was built in 2010 so the speakers are old, but they do work.

The receiver I am using is the Onkyo TX-NR676.
If I could use the two living room speakers in a surround sound setup, how would you do it?
Do you think the speakers would hold up?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
If your wholoe home is anything like mine it gets run via ethernet to a central panel. This introduces lag you will need to account for if you were to somehow mash it into a surround format. I regularly recommend against this, and note that interior designers who build stuff like this are doing so for people who have no idea what they want from a home theater. It's generally aesthetics over well designed HT setup.

Packard76

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian Packard
Thanks, I'll check the speakers to see how they are wired. The wall plates for all the speakers are in the living room where the entertainment center will be. They are standard speaker connectors So it might just be speaker wire run through the attic.

Packard76

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian Packard
Update: The speakers are wired normally. I located the cables to the two ceiling speakers in the great room. They are now my "height" speakers. It worked out amazingly well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks