Ceiling speaker recommendations

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Jack Heckler, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Jack Heckler

Jack Heckler Extra

My son and daughter-in-law are building a new house and decided to go with ceiling speakers for their family room where they will have their AV equipment. He asked me for some ideas on the type of ceiling speakers to get, but I know nothing about them. I have done a little research on them and was surprised to see how pricey they can get. I don't think they would want to go more than $500-750 for all 5 speakers, but not sure if good sound can be had for that amount. Any recommendations?

Thanks...Jack

2. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

I could see possibly using this for rears (pointing the drivers away from the listening positions similar to people who point rear speakers straight up behind a couch) but I think this would be horrible for the front LCR setup (they project sound more directly and firing them at the floor seems like a bad idea, not mixed this way). I can also see a sub done this way (a form of infinite baffle) as well. Unless the ceiling speakers domed and aimed (similar to some security cameras) I would recommend against this type of design for the LCR. Interesting topic though, I'm almost as interested as you are about any responses.

3. Tom Donaghue

Tom Donaghue Stunt Coordinator

Hi Jack;
    Similar to Robert's concerns, having in-ceiling speakers for the front sound stage (L/C/R) may be a very bad idea due to the direct radiating properties of most mains and center channel speakers. The object of the fround sound stage is to have separation, but also be able to pinpoint sound when the material calls for it, which would be extremely difficult with in-ceilings or any difused speaker setup.

In-wall or on-wall speakers for the front may be a consideration. Many speaker companies have improved the quality of their in-walls and have introduced on-walls for those that want better bass response than in-walls and either do not want to go to the effort of carving holes in their walls, are afraid to do so or would rather be able to move their speakers freely and not implemented as a permanent fixture.

Are in-walls or on-walls a possible option for your family, at least for the front L/C/R configuration? If so, you'd likely be able to come up with some decent options for this setup. If you'd like some examples of both, let me know... -TD

4. Jack Heckler

Jack Heckler Extra

Robert and Tom,

Thanks for your concerns which are similar to what I expressed to my son. However, the layout of the room has dictated the problem. One end of the room is open to the kitchen/dining area, the other end has the door to the garage and french doors to the backyard. One side has a number of windows and the other side has a fireplace and built-in cabinets for the A/V equipment, TV, books, etc.

There is not enough wall space to use in- or on-wall speakers and free-standing speakers would protrude out into traffic areas.

I guess I am just looking for suggestions that will make the best out of a less than ideal situation. The kids are not into audiophile sound so just about anything will be better than the Paradigm Mini Monitors that they use now!![​IMG]

Thanks...Jack