Ceiling.....sheet rock or drop?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg N, Nov 14, 2001.

1. Greg N

Greg N Auditioning

Hi -
    first off I want to say this is a great forum and I have learned a lot of useful information from you all.
    I am in the midst of building a home theater/rec room in my basement and I am looking for some suggestions as to what the best method for finishing the ceiling is.
    Originally I was all set to sheet rock the ceiling but after talking to some people they suggested a drop ceiling would be much easier to install.
    Here is some info that needs to be considered...
    * I am looking to maximize the sound proofing of the room.
    * I am also going to install recessed lighting.
    * There is a heating duct running across the ceiling, which bi-sects the room. The seating will be on one side of the duct and the TV on the other. The duct hangs down approximately 1 foot from the rest of the ceiling. I have a RPTV however, so I do not have to contend with mounting anything to the ceiling.
    * And finally I would like to paint the ceiling.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Also, if this topic has been previously posted please let me know.
    Thanks,
    Greg

2. Kevin Potts

Kevin Potts Second Unit

If you're planning on doing the work yourself I would suggest the drop ceiling. It's easier to install than drywall for a do-it-yourselfer with limited construction experience. Also, if you install drywall the HVAC ducting will have to be framed in along with any pipes that are exposed below the floor joists.
    Oh by the way, welcome to the Forum. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    [​IMG]"See the world on the wings of rock and roll"
    [Edited last by Kevin Potts on November 14, 2001 at 11:27 PM]

3. Kerry Hackney

Kerry Hackney Stunt Coordinator

Greg,
    I went the drop route in my basement. If your house is like mine you have mechanical systems running under the main floor. I figured that sooner or later I would have a water leak, or need to run a new cable or something. Any event will be much easier with the panels.
    FWIW, I would put fiberglass insulation between the floor joists to help control noise upstairs if I were you. It does help. When all is said and done it looks fine as well. If you go with 2x2 panels it won't look so much like an office. If you spend a little more you can get the panels that have recessed edges. This gives a little nicer look also.

4. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

Looks like half of your requirements would be met by a suspended ceiling and the other by sheetrock, so it looks like you'll have to latch on to the positives of one or the other and just go with it.
    Maximum soundproofing and paintability call for sheetrock, but recessed lighting and working around obstructions are much easier with a grid.
    I totally agree with the above that if you have limited building experience, go with the grid. My basement was the first grid I had done and it came out beautifully and was done in less than a day.
    One thing I would suggest...I have a run of ductwork that is against one wall of my HT and instead of trying to run a grid around it, I framed around the duct and hung sheetrock on that part. The finished work really looks good and pretty much blends in with the rest of the room.
    Most of the ceilings I've seen where an obstruction simply has a grid around it, just didn't look good. Unless the tiles are really small around the duct, they seem to sag or fall out of place really easily. Just my opinion though!

5. Bill Fletcher

Bill Fletcher Stunt Coordinator

I ended up sheet rocking my basement ceiling. In fact, I put up two layers of sheet rock to try and keep the sound in. It seems to have worked out pretty well. I do get some sound traveling thru the ducting though. If I was able to start from scratch, I would run ducting from the furnace directly to the home theater room and not share a run with any other rooms.
    When I was trying to decide which way to go, I remember someone saying that ceiling tiles may rattle when you really get the bass cranking. Maybe someone with a drop ceiling can comment on any rattling issues.
    Bill

6. Mike OConnell

Mike OConnell Second Unit

Mike
    I would recommend a suspended ceiling all the way. I have had three different occasions to access the area above my ceiling over the past year (luckily none have been leaks).
    First, easier for a do-it-yourselfer to construct.
    Second, "futureproofing".
    Third, you may have and RPTV now, but you may want an FPTV in the future.
    Negative, gyp board (2-layers) woudl be quieter, but a layer of insulation in the joists will help.
    Mine ended up looking pretty good:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/bbs/...ent/28828.html
    I have a direct view TV now, but am going to install an FPTV this winter!!!!
    Good luck,
    Mike

7. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

8. Greg N

Greg N Auditioning

Thanks everyone for the help.
    Looks like I will go with a drop ceiling. I have never done this before so it sounds like a drop ceiling would be something I could accomplish.
    I do have one more question...
    When installing a drop ceiling do you install the ceiling first and then sheet rock the walls? Or the opposite?
    Thanks again.
    greg

9. Kevin Potts

Kevin Potts Second Unit

Greg,
    Hang the sheetrock on the walls first. It will be much easier to do than hanging it after your grid is up. Be sure to mark out the wall studs on the drywall before you start hanging the grid though.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]"See the world on the wings of rock and roll"

10. joe goswami

joe goswami Stunt Coordinator

I too was a novice when it came to building my home theatre room. I went with drywall for the ceiling. Its cheaper and can be finshed with "any colour you like". I have no buzzes or rattles with bass testing DVD's/LP's (no typo). Suspension ceilings can become very expensive depending on finish.
    I was fortunate to have help (in the form of my wife) to help with the installation of the drywall. Its a lot of work but worth it in the end. Recessed lighting will be a bitch to install. I went with halogen track lighting.