Ceiling reflections?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gary_R, Aug 5, 2001.

1. Gary_R

Gary_R Agent

I have an HT in a preexisting basement that was used by the previous owner as a recreation room. The plaster-sculptured ceiling conceals a maze of pipes and electrical wires and is only 6' 8" above a carpeted floor, which, in turn, covers a cement base. I have a large projection screen mounted just 2.5" below the ceiling, which does not present a problem in the room since only one row of seating in the back and a perpendicular sofa comprise the viewing area.
    What is a problem, however--or at least I think it is--is the image emenating from the screen, bouncing off the white ceiling, and returning back to the screen to wash out the dark scenes. At least, that's my suspicion. I see the light from the screen, in bright scenes, extending its reach to the first few feet of ceiling and then dissipating rapidly until it reaches above the viewing area; I think this ceiling light is being reflected back to the screen. Since I'm using an LCD projector, this light return is especially unwanted.
    I've thought about installing a homemade 2" soffit that stretches across the room, mounted on the ceiling; the ceiling area to the screen I would paint flat black, while the soffit to the viewing areas would emain white. I'm thinking about the SAF (spousal acceptance factor) here, since my wife previously stated that I could NEVER paint the ceiling black.
    The walls are a medium brown grass wallpaper and dark walnut--the real stuff--so it isn't as if I can make substantial changes there. Still, I think the white ceiling is a major culprit. How can I make absolutely sure, though, before I concoct an argument and divert some cash? I'm not the handiest of gents and I don;t want to ruin the room.
    -- Gary

2. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

Go to a cheap fabric store and buy enough black fabric to cover the area you intend to paint. Staple cardboard to it and use tacky puddy to attach it to the ceiling.
    Or
    Spray paint cardboard flat black and tack it up. That will probably be lighter weight so the puddy should hold better, cheaper, and will lie flat for a better effect.
    ------------------
    Bill [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Howard_A

Howard_A Stunt Coordinator

Reflection is your enemy. The white ceiling is definitely a contributing factor. If your walnut walls are laquered it probably doesn't help.

4. Gary_R

Gary_R Agent

Thanks, Bill and Howard.
    I like the flat black cardboard idea; is the tacky putty easily removed, Bill, after I can determine what I need to paint?
    Only a portion of one side of the room has fully exposed woodwork. A fireplace hides most of that side while the other, which has just a wood wainscotting, is hidden by the sofa.
    Thanks for your help.
    --Gary

5. Ben Cannon

Ben Cannon Extra

Hi Gary, you can just fix the black fabric directly to the celing at, oh, say 18" or so intervals using thumb, or better yet, 'furniture' tacks, available at the fabric store you buy the fabric from.
    Light pollution is your porjector's enemy, see my pics below (plenty of pollution, light patterns look cool on the walls though [​IMG] Now that the Auralax treatments are all in, even in their "vivid purple" the absorbtion is nearly 100%. Much hither contrast (and LCDs need all the contrast help they can get, you will definately notice a major improvement!
    Have fun!!!!
    Best!
    Ben.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Ben Cannon
    Dream With Your Eyes Wide Open, Inc.
    "Every man dies, not every man really lives" --Mel Gibson, "Braveheart"

6. Gary_R

Gary_R Agent

Ben, thanks for the photo and comments. Do I need black felt or can you recommend some other material?
    --Gary

7. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

The reason I suggested the tacky puddy is because I think you'll have a pretty hard time penitrating the plaster ceiling with thumb tacks.
    You can buy the "Plasti-tack" (I think that's what it's called) at any office supply store. It peels off easily, won't damage the paint, and leaves no residue.
    Or you can just get painter's masking tape (usually blue in color), roll it into a loop, and stick the cardboard on with that. That's a special kind of masking tape that peels off without taking paint with it. Available in home centers and hardware stores.
    ------------------
    Bill [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Gary_R

Gary_R Agent

Thanks, Bill. I have a roll of blue tape.
    I'm wondering what kind of seamless cardboard I can get for this length, say, 10 feet (wide) by four feet (long). Since this is an experiment, I suppose just taping flatened cartons together is good enough.
    -- Gary