Ceiling Pant... should I paint it black???

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by tonyGar, Mar 7, 2006.

1. tonyGar

tonyGar Agent

I am painting the ceiling a light blue gray but I have heard its best to paint it black.....any thoughts???

Pros and cons?

2. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    It depends on what your display is. If it's a projector, flat black is best. Otherwise it doesn't matter.

3. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

If you have a false ceiling with tiles don't paint them...I went down that path and those things are sponges and suck up paint like you wouldn't believe...it would have been cheaper to just buy black tiles and replace the old ones. Having a dark ceiling does help with projectors though as it cuts down on the reflections

4. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

I'm assuming this is for a projector installation? If so, yeah, flat black. Walls dark, too...anything that could reflect light back to the screen.

5. David Noll

David Noll Stunt Coordinator

6. Glenise

Glenise Supporting Actor

I think black looks sexy but then I guess it depends on your room colors and other accents.

7. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

Ideally yes but aesthetically you might not like it. Darker is definitely be better. My ceiling is a darkish gray but in retrospect I have would have gone darker (still may in the future, although much more of a pain now that the room is finished).

8. GregDas

GregDas Auditioning

I'll throw in as well for the "darker is better"...
    But you can also think color as well. For me a dark blue (flat) ceiling and dark purple (flat) for the walls was the ticket.

Greg

9. Kevin Magee

Kevin Magee Agent

Believe it or not the ceiling looks really good painted black. I used Bone Black, I believe a Ralph Lauren color. to paint mine in a flat finish. Some blacks are "blacker"
    than others. I thought my wife was going to hate it and warned her. She let me do it. Surprise, it turned out great and is real cool. She loves it and says it is an improvement in the room.

10. Kevin Magee

Kevin Magee Agent

My cieling was gray at first. The black was an improvement over the gray.

11. Don.l

Don.l Stunt Coordinator

I'm in the same boat. I'll be putting up the suspended ceiling soon, and will probably choose black. I don't really want black, but I know it will be the best choice and will probably look great.

Don

12. Derek1

Derek1 Agent

Black is absolutely the best choice for the ceiling color in a projector based home theater. Keep in mind that this is for several reasons.

1. reduces the appearance of reflected light and light "halo" around the projector and down the light path to the screen.

2. greatly reduces color shift at the screen. (light reflected off nearby surfaces will tint the image on screen to whatever color the neighboring surface is. Holding a bright colored object near a white wall is a fairly good demonstration of this undesired effect. Notice how the "white" surface becomes tinted. BTW there is a whole section on this topic discussed at Stewart Filmscreen training.

3. It will piss of the interior decorator! (worth it every time)

Derek