Ceiling or Wall Speakers - New Theater Room

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by DennyO, Feb 22, 2004.

1. DennyO

DennyO Auditioning

First, thanks for the help.

We just purchased a new home, 10 years old, and are in the process of gutting the family room to make way for most of our existing home theater system.

Our system is made up of -
    Zenith Inteq RPTV (60 inch)
    Yamaha RX-V2090 Receiver
    Toshiba SD-5109 DVD player
    Mitsubishi HS-U448 VCR
    Klipsch Bookshelf Speakers (2) KG 1.5
    Klipsch Center Speaker KV – 4
    Klipsch Front Speakers (2) KG – 4.5
    Klipsch Subwoofer KSW 150

The family room is 17 ft X 19 ft with an 8-foot ceiling. The room is on the first floor of a two-story home with full first floor access from the basement. We plan on running all of the wiring under the floor via the basement and completing the entire behind the wall wiring before the dry wall is reinstalled.

We would like to place wall / ceiling mounted front and rear speakers in each corner of the room. The RPTV will be centered on the 17 ft. wall. The center speaker will be sitting on top of the RPTV. The subwoofer will probably be in the left rear quadrant.

Our first question is which front, rear, or system of speakers would you recommend for our new theater room. We do not plan on using the Klipsch speakers in the new room. They are just too large. I would like to spend between $500 and a $1000 on the speaker solution. However, budget is a key concern.

Second, do you have any suggestions that we should consider as we move to project completion.

Regards – DennyO

2. Rick_Brown

Rick_Brown Second Unit

I'm very happy with my Polk Audio in-walls. Don't go in-ceiling if you can as you can't possibly get good imaging that way. Also, don't install the fronts right in the corners - move them towards the screen a bit for better imaging.

3. DennyO

DennyO Auditioning

Rick -

Thanks for the input. All good ideas.

Regards -

Denny O'Neill