What's new

Ceiling mounting a DLP front projector (1 Viewer)

David Tolsky

Supporting Actor
I had to buy an angled ceiling mount for my pj, the Marantz S2. Because I had to mount to an angled ceiling, my pipe coming down from the mount is a little longer than usual, about 3' 8". For this pipe I bought a piece of galvanized pipe that is very heavy and probably adds another 15 lbs to the overall weight. I'd like to reduce the weight of this pipe by either drilling or blasting through some holes, still leaving plenty to be structurally sound. My wife thinks if I want to reduce the weight, I should just get an aluminum pipe (is there such thing as 1.5" aluminum pipe?) I have a 30 lb. projector to support. What should I do?
Also, what length lag bolts should I go with to mount the ceiling plate to the ceiling joist?

Bill Lucas

Supporting Actor
There is no need to reduce the weight of the pipe. I have a 150 lb. CRT projector hanging from my ceiling. Just make sure that you are lagging into supported wood in the ceiling. Good luck.

MikeWh

Second Unit
I agree with Bill... another 15 lbs. should be no problem (but it may depend on the mount you're using... I couldn't imagine someone manufacturing a mount for

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I concur. I had to modify my Sony mount because it was too short to begin with. I used a hollow steel pipe that was about 4mm thick and 2ft long. The whole mount was about 15 pounds as well but I anchored the assembly into solid wood which I installed myself above the ceiling drywall. I could hang off that with all my weight and it would support it.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
David:

I agree. The extra weight isn't the issue. You just need to make sure that you have mount lag bolted into your ceiling joist.

Parker

David Tolsky

Supporting Actor
Thanks guys. I was using 3" lag bolts into the ceiling and I know I went into the wood. However I think I'll play it safe and purchase some 5 or 6 inchers. I have not ripped into the ceiling yet (to run the conduit) so I don't know if I have 2 x 10's or 2 x 12's but I'm confident a 5 or 6" lag bolt will do the trick. Funny how I'm putting the fate of an expensive projector in the hands of a .69 cent lag bolt. That's life! :) Come to think of it, that's not so funny :angry:

Bill Lucas

Supporting Actor
David,

A 5" or 6" lag bolt is overkill to the extreme. Save your forearms and use the 3" lag bolts you have. Thay are more than sufficient. I've hung dozens of projectors and you really don't need more than you have already.

MikeWh

Second Unit
Bill,

"overkill to the extreme" is a little extreme, IMHO. The "half-way" rule is a standard. It's considered a best-practice. Yes, for hanging 45 lbs., the 3" bolts are probably sufficient. However, since the difference in cost is about 5 cents per bolt, I'd have to be about the cheapest person on earth to not use a 5" bolt.

David,

The manufacturer of the bracket should have recommendations on mounting. FWIW, I noted that the .pdf I posted earlier uses 5" or 6" bolts in all its joist-secured configurations.

David Tolsky

Supporting Actor
Well, fwiw, I ended up going to 4" bolts. I simply didn't find any longer ones in the size I needed and figured 4" bolts were just fine. In the case of an angled ceiling plate, I did not use a cross brace between joists, rather went into the joist itself longways. Now I'm about to tear into the wall along that same joist so I can run a couple of 1.5" PVC's for the cable runs. Fun fun. :D Btw, I added a "T" connector on it's side for the top and bottom of the pipe for easy cable access into the pipe. Pretty cool, eh?

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
David:

Let the FUN begin!

We need some screen shots after you have the demolition done so we can advise you on the amount of money you are going to need to speed to fix the damage you just did to the place. :)

Seriously, I want to see some final pics when you get done.

Parker

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks