Ceiling mount with DVI?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by BenSC, Jun 25, 2003.

1. BenSC

BenSC Stunt Coordinator

Hi guys,

I'm in the process of converting a room to my home theater, most of it DIY parts centered around a Panasonic PT-L300U. I'd like to ceiling mount the projector to retain a center seat. I've got a computer that I use for playing movies/other video content that I plan to connect via the DVI port. However, I have been reading that digital only (non-analog) DVI signals can not travel farther than 15ft. To get to where I would like to keep the computer it's more like 25ft. If anyone else has run into this problem, how did you get around it?

Thanks.

2. sean_pecor

sean_pecor Stunt Coordinator

Better Cables offers a guaranteed 9 meter dual link DVI digital cable for $210 (fixed price - thanks Mike!):

http://www.bettercables.com/dvicables.html

I have no experience with either the company or extended length cables, but I suspect that the cable operates as indicated on the web site.

Hope this helps!

Sean.

3. MikeWh

MikeWh Second Unit

4. BenSC

BenSC Stunt Coordinator

Yea, thats quite a bit of money. I've actually got a wireless keyboard/mouse setup. What I'm considering is putting the CPU in a different room location than the stereo equipment so that I can use a 15ft cable. My girlfriend works at BestBuy, so I can get cheap cabling there.

5. Jacques C

Jacques C Stunt Coordinator

6. johnathan

johnathan Stunt Coordinator

Im using a lindy 10m or 32ft DVI cable without issue with the Sony HS-10. Like the one that Jacques sugests. Johnthan

7. Chip_Slattery

Chip_Slattery Stunt Coordinator

No personal experience but I've heard good things about these folks as well:

Pacific Cable

Of course, all things being equal, I'd try to support a forum sponsor (BetterCables) if possible.

8. sean_pecor

sean_pecor Stunt Coordinator

I'd prefer supporting a sponsor as well. For me, $210 vs. $63 is not the only comparison that should be made. If signal quality is a priority, I'd still consider the more expensive version. Going by specs alone, it appears to be the superior product.

Still, if you can move the machine closer to the projector, all the better. Heck, why not buy a super mini tower like a Shuttle, and mount it next to the projector? [​IMG]

Sean.