What's new

Ceiling Mount vs. Floor Deflection (1 Viewer)

Randy Emery

Auditioning
Hey Guys, I have a Sanyo Z2 being Drop-Shipped (man, i hate that term) to me sometime soon. This bad boy will be mounted directly to my basement ceiling. The ceiling is, of course a wood joist system for the floor above. This system experiences deflection when someone walks uptairs. Two things: "Dang it", and the other is " how much vibration will a projector take without beng adversly affected? Should I re-think this mount? Thanks.

David WS

Stunt Coordinator
How much deflection? A floor shouldn't flex under the weight of even a few people. No electronic devices like vibration, the less the better. That said most electronics are tested for vibration/drops/jolts/etc. and are built to handle very modest amounts of abuse. (I did some work with a company that did this kind of testing once.)

On the usage part, if the floor deflects even a 1/4 inch, it may not affect your PJ itself but it could be very annoying if it happened while watching a movie. If you are really concerned about this, you could consider "sistering" additional joists to your existing joists. This would help stiffen the floor above and reduce deflection and vibration. If you basement ceiling is finished already it would of course not be an option, unless you were into construction.

I don't have a Projector (yet) but have used them in the past (work) and I'm currently finishing up the electric on my basement theater. I even busted up the concrete floor and roughed in a new bathroom. I'll be going with a front projection system and have been planning the config for quite a few years.

I’d be interested to hear what you think of the Z2 as it is one of the models I’m interested in.

Just my $.02

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks