Ceiling mount question

msweig

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark
I recently moved into a new home, and I have a couple surround speakers I would like to mount to the ceiling. While I realize this is a less than ideal location for them I think this will work better than not putting them up at all. The house is already prewired for the setup, so my only issue is figuring out how to mount them to the ceiling. The two speakers are Sony SS-U64. They are about 8 1/4" wide, 6" tall, 6"deep, and weigh a little under 3 lbs. Spring clips in the back center to hold the speaker wires, and (my problem) no mounting part for attaching the speakers. No keyhole slots, or threaded inserts. The back is flat (other that the spot where the spring clips are). What is the best way to mount these? Can I simply drill a hole above or below the speaker wire clips, drive in a threaded insert, and then use that? Other suggestions? Also, any suggestions for a particular speaker mount?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I don't know of anybody that makes a ceiling style clamp mount. Can you wall mount? http://www.amazon.com/Pinpoint-AM-40B-Clamping-Bookshelf-Speaker/dp/B002UV03MW/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1360015293&sr=1-1&keywords=speaker+ceiling+clamping There is a picture where a guy made these work for ceilings....

msweig

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark
That might work, though I'll need to have the speaker pointing almost straight down, which makes me a little leery with a clamping setup (depending on how good the clamps are), though I'd imagine I could always add some double sided tape to make sure they don't slip. Oh, and can't wall mount.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lendrena