What's new

Ceiling Mount Kits (1 Viewer)

peter_van

Grip
Hi,

I believe I am going to mount a couple of my surrounds to my ceiling. These are 20+ lb speakers, in beautiful black ash cabinets (Kinima HIG1's)

I see companies like Omnimount sell decent looking mounting brackets for this, but I notice the process involves driving screws into the back of the speaker.

Dumb question maybe, but isn't this a bad thing to do to a cabinet? The G1's are an awesome monitor, and I can't bring myself to drive screws into them. Am I being silly, or will I actually do considerable damage to the speaker?

Sonic properties change a lot when you do this?

Thanks

Pete

Phil Taylor

Supporting Actor
I would think that as long as you stay in the edges/sides of the cabinet and not penetrate the interior of the speaker you will be ok. You wouldn't want to compromise the integity of the speaker by intruding into the enclosure - especially if you were to change your mind in the future...

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Well, you won’t be able to ceiling mount them without drilling screws somewhere. If you (understandably) have aversions to doing this, then perhaps you should find another way or place to locate your surrounds.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

peter_van

Grip
Unfortunately this is the only spot for these speakers.

I was more or less just curious how common driving screws into decent speakers was, and if damage was done to the accoustics of the box when you did so.

The shorter question would be "is this a bad thing to do?"

Thanks

Pete

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Peter,

Drilling screws into speakers is required any time a wall or ceiling mounting bracket of some kind is used (unless you can find some with a clamping system, but they would be really ugly). It doesn’t hurt the sound of the speaker, but it might lower resale value.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks