Ceiling height for a dedicated home theater

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gary Shipley, Nov 27, 2002.

1. Gary Shipley

Gary Shipley Second Unit

May 28, 2002
    In a couple of weeks I'll be putting a suspended ceiling up in part of my basement thats being converted into a home theater. I recently read in the Forum that a ceiling thats too low could keep you from using a front projector. Due to some plumbing pipes on one side of the room,if I put the ceiling as close as possible under the pipes, the ceiling would be at 7ft 2inches. Is that concidered too low? Or, am I safe with that height. The screen I'm concidering is 106 inches diagonally,using a Sanyo PLV-60HT LCD projector. If I need to go above the pipes, does anyone have any ideas on how to disguise or hide the pipes?Thanks
  2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Jan 16, 1998
    Neil Joseph
    Obviously a higher ceiling is easier to work with but your 7'2" ceiling will work ok. First off, your screen is 52" x 92" not including borders. You will need to mount the screen just under the ceiling with maybe 1-2" of breathing space on top. I am going to assume 3" borders for the sake of calculation. You have 2" of space on top then your screen will be 26" off the ground. This will be a good screen height to minimize neck strain. You will have to use a little keystone correction on your PLV-60 to correct for any trapezoidal effects but that should be a relative minimum. It will need to be mounted 11.7' - 12.2' away from the screen as the Sanyo PLV60 has a really short throw.