Ceiling for Home Theater

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Simon Frith, Oct 25, 2003.

1. Simon Frith

Simon Frith Auditioning

My wife and I are currently in process of building our home theater. During our home building process we had a daylight basement and also had the builder excavate under the garage for our home theater. This area is 24 X 30 and will be solely used for theater veiwing. The "ceiling" we have in our room is spancrete, the same material that is used in parking garages. We have 10 ft ceilings throughout the basement and the theater room. What kind of material can we use to hide the concrete? Before the garage floor was poured, I installed lag bolts (270 of them) through the crevices in the spancrete for future installation of a ceiling.

Our builder was kind enough to leave behind 4 x 8 sheets of hard foam insulation that was used in our roofing structure. The hard foam insulation is 4" thick. Would this be suitable for sound barrier? Or, should I not use the insulation? If I do use the insulation, what type of ceiling tiles should I buy?

The basement walls are pre-fab with a R14 styrofoam barrier and I added an additional R30 batts insulation before the drywall was installed. The floor will be carpeted with an 8 lb rubber pad, so the room itself is quite insulated.

We would like something simple to install if possible.

Simon

[​IMG]

2. Ian-Fl

Ian-Fl Second Unit

You'll want to use materials that are soft to reduce the reverb in the room so you've got the right idea with the foam insulation. I disagree with the idea of using a rubber floor on concrete. You'll ruin all that precious low pressure bass from the sub that seems so crutial to the theater experience.
    In my opinion the rubber will absorb all the vibrations. You're better off with a vapour barrier, raising the floor with 2x4's, insulating the spaces and covering it with plywood.