ceiling fans

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by MikeAlletto, Jul 19, 2003.

1. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

I'm so proud of myself. I installed a ceiling fan all by myself in my computer room today. Home depot is having 30% off all ceiling fans so it was naturally a feeding frenzy up there. Didn't think I'd be able to do it but it was quite easy. It would have been even easier with another set of hands but I managed. Yeah for me [​IMG]

2. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Congrats! I am the least handy man ever (except when it comes to Computers and HT [​IMG]). Thank god I make enough money to pay people to do whatever I need done or else I'd probably have electrocuted myself a LONG time ago.

3. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

Last summer when I moved into my house I put four Hunters in. By the time I got to the fourth I was damn near an expert. Fortunately my house was prewired for fans in most rooms, which makes it all the easier. I wish I had a bit of extra cash right now, I'd like to add fans to my guest room and living room. Oh well, I'll have to wait for the next sale.

4. Nathan*W

Nathan*W Screenwriter

Nathan

5. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I almost bought one of those fans at HD today [​IMG]

I passed on it and got a floor lamp for 10 dollars anyway. Along with 2 blinds (faux wood [​IMG] ) a temporary paper shade, a dryer vent, electrical cord for my dryer, and an ice maker water line kit. Been a fun day in the new house with no AC in 95+ degree heat [​IMG]

congrats on the install! post pics!

6. Keith Mickunas

Hey Philip, the faux wood ain't bad. It shouldn't warp or anything and it looks pretty good. I used HD store brand 2" faux wood blinds pretty much throughout my house. What's up with the AC? Shouldn't a new house have it working? Granted I have had a few problems with mine in the last year. Did you get a warranty with your house?

7. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

no, it's not installed yet

I think the plastic blinds will be OK, they're just in my bedroom. I got real wood with no holes for the TV room and the other bedroom because they were like 70" long and had to be special ordered anyway. I got one of those paper pleated temporary shades for one of hte bathrooms, 6 dollars [​IMG]

8. David Preston

David Preston Supporting Actor

Gotta love those ceiling fans with remotes. I love mine I was trying to program my HT remote to do it but it won't. There is a way but to much trouble to do. I also love the faux wood blinds the price very resonable.

9. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

Here's another vote for faux woods. I've had them hanging in all my windows since '99, and no warping. Real wood is typically ruined after a few years down here (warping from the sun/heat).

I went to get an outdoor fan (Hunter Mariner), but they were all sold out. You snooze, you lose. And, I don't do "other" brands.

Todd

10. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

congrats mike. i just recently installed one in my bedroom - it also has the rf remote, which is a nice touch.

the one thing i hope you were careful to do is make sure you used the correct junction box. i had to go buy one especially rated to handle a ceiling fan.

but, boy do i love it. the only thing i gotta do now is buy a special wall-swich so i can control the light from there - as opposed to finding that darn remote!

11. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

I have two ceiling fans each with an RF remote. The remotes came with a wall bracket. I keep the remotes on the wall bracket unless I want to use it. When I'm done with the remote I just make sure to put it back. So I get a "wall switch" and remote that way.

The remote comes in real handy when I'm sleeping at night. I just set it by my bed and when I get too cold or just sick of the fan I don't have to get out of bed to turn it off.

I'll submit another vote for the Home Depot faux-wood blinds. We've got them in all our windows (since '00) and they're great. My in-laws have some real wood blinds that cost hundreds more, look exactly the same, are about the same age, but are really showing a lot of damage. Especially in the kitchen where the paint is pealing off and the wood is rotting. And it isn't from poor care. These people are extremely picky about taking good care of their stuff.

12. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I'm glad to hear it about the PVC blinds, I would have no problem doing the whole house in them, but I got wood for the same cost it would be to special order the plastic er uh, faux wood blinds. I think they look great but my mom is appauled by them, go figure. home cheapo even cutom cuts them for you on the spot for free. I think for 2 35-1/2" by 60" windows the two blinds cost me around 60 bucks.
    they do reccomend the faux wood for moist areas, kitchens, bathrooms and the like. Wood just can't take the moisture.
    even worse, I bought a 6 dollar paper shade at home cheapo for the bathroom :b I'll be damn if it doesn't look pretty good though!

13. MikeAlletto

14. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

Energy tip- leaving a fan running in a room with no one in it serves no real purpose. They cool you, not the room.

15. Eric Kahn

Eric Kahn Guest

I was lucky when I installed my ceiling fans, the rooms already had chandelier brackets in the ceiling, cast iron plate attached to a joust with treaded holes, don't know if they even make them anymore, my house was built in 1921, love my 9 foot ceilings

16. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

I didn't know about the Home Depot sale. I really want to replace the noisy piece of crap fan in my computer room with a nice quiet hunter. The Hunters in the rest of our house are fantastic.

17. MikeAlletto

18. Marc_Sulinski

Marc_Sulinski Supporting Actor

19. MikeAlletto

20. Keith Mickunas

The fan could have assisted in moving the warm air out of the computer room and bringing cool air into the room, depending on how the air currents act in your house, but its physically impossible for the fan to cool the room by itself. In fact, if you were running a fan in a sealed room, it'd heat it up.