What's new

Ceiling Fans?!? (1 Viewer)

MattCleary

Stunt Coordinator
Greetings one and all from a HT newb! This forum has already been an incredible help in my quest!

I'm in the process of converting a mere TV room into a full-fledged home theater; however my current stumbling block is the dreaded ceiling fan… Now, I can’t get rid of it (Houston, TX in the summer.), I can’t really move it, as the room is pretty much a square 17’x17’ and my alternative-placement ideas aren't going over well with the wife.

I’m looking at a Panasonic L300u – which I’ve calculated to right below 10’ from the screen for the 100” diagonal I want. I could go up to the HS10, with its longer throw, but that’s $600+ that could easily go elsewhere in this sweetest of money-pits :)

I guess my questions are…

1. If I were to use a long-drop ceiling mount (Ignoring the adjustments needed to get the image on the screen for a minute.), how would air, from the fan, effect the image? Will I see any ‘waves’?

2. How does everyone else get around this issue?!? Again, remember Houston + Summer = inferno :) We don’t have nice cold basements here either :frowning:

Thanks in advance for any info ya’ll can help me out with.

Matt

Oh, if anyone needs any other info, I’m going to be monitoring this topic like a hawk (i.e. I REALLY want my projector :))

Troy_j

Agent
"waves" ? hmm, I never noticed air "waves" in a 727, or any other flight. I also cant see " waves" when my two 12's are blasing bass... Can't inagine " waves" being an issue.

My .02

Troy_j

Agent
Also, I live in Hell, aka Palmdale CA, really hot! in the summer, and nekid always seems to help staey "cooler" hehe...

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Note that the L300U is ported out of the back, ie. the hot exhaust air from the cooling of the bulb is expelled from the back of the pj and not the front. You should have no problems with waves at all.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
So you will be mounting your L300U at around 10'3" to obtain a 100" 16x9 throw and your ceiling fan will be around 8'6", thus your need for a longer mount right? How high is the ceiling. You may need to accomodate slightly with a little keystoning to correct, depending on your screen height relative to projector height.

MattCleary

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the responses, but I'm wondering if I didn't make my question clear in the first post. The fan in question is the ceiling fan. I'm worried as to what a decent amount of air coming down, directly in front of the lens, will do to the picture quality? Maybe 'wave' wasn't the right wording, would I see a ‘shimmer’ on the screen, from the ceiling fan?

Neil – All your calculations are correct, and my ceiling is 8’. The plan, today at least, is to have the top of the screen start about 18” down from the ceiling. Actually getting the image onto the screen (Which will be a DIY MDF to begin with, if not just the wall for the first few days.), falls a little behind the ceiling fan issue as part of the big picture, simply because the fan could cause me to have to rethink almost everything :frowning: I do intend to replace the current Miami Vice style ceiling fan anyway (It's soooo 80's, which is odd considering the house was built in 96?!?), and when I do a lower profile/non light kit fan is most likely to be my choice.

I have done more research this weekend, and have since seen the wonderful ‘City Cinema’ (Link Removed) website. Mr. Shubick talks about how his ceilings fan miss the projector by a 1/4”! It’s not noted however if the (ceiling) fan is on during viewing.

So that’s my question – Does the airflow of a ceiling fan degrade the quality of front projection, if the fans airflow is directly in front of the projectors lens.

Thanks,
Matt

FYI - I’m beginning to think it doesn’t, as a couple of days search through various forums has frankly come back empty. Better safe than sorry though, eh?

Doug_B

Screenwriter
I don't think the air disturbance from a ceiling fan will alter the picture (coming from someone with no experience in this area). I rely on my central AC but do not activate it that much, so I did suffer a bit last summer, which was my first summer with my media room. Yes, a fan that hugs the ceiling will improve the situation. Is a floorstanding fan a consideration?

Doug

Kevin P

Screenwriter
As long as the fan doesn't block the projector's beam, casting a shadow on the screen, you shouldn't have a problem with the ceiling fan. If you do, try a ceiling hugging fan, or two fans on either side of the ceiling instead of a centrally mounted fan.

The air movement from the fan won't affect the picture.

KJP

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks