CEDIA announcements for TV's

Discussion in 'Displays' started by ChrisDumont, Sep 6, 2003.

1. ChrisDumont

ChrisDumont Agent

I was advised to wait till CEDIA for any announcements for new technologies in TV's, and I'm sure many other people were as well. So in this thread, post any announcements that were made during CEDIA thats TV related. I have about $3500 for a new TV, so hopefully theres a new TV or something that fits my budget [​IMG]

2. BruZZi

BruZZi Second Unit

Here's one: [​IMG]

THE FIRST HDMI CONSUMER ELECTRONICS PRODUCTS DEBUT AT CEDIA 2003

Panasonic, Pioneer, Sony, Meridian and SIM2 Introduce More Than 20 Products Using Silicon Image's PanelLink Cinema™ ICs to Enable HDMI connectivity

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind., September 5, 2003 — Silicon Image, (Nasdaq: SIMG), a leader in high-bandwidth semiconductor and system solutions for mass markets, announced today that leading consumer electronics manufacturers will launch the world's first High-Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI)-enabled products, all incorporating Silicon Image's HDMI-capable technology, at the Custom Electronic Design and Installation Association (CEDIA) Expo, September 3-7, 2003. The only company shipping HDMI silicon solutions today, Silicon Image's HDMI-compliant PanelLink Cinema™ receivers and transmitters coupled with High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP), enable consumer electronics devices to deliver premium content and the highest-quality, all digital audio and video viewing experience to consumers.

"After working diligently to develop and garner industry support for the HDMI standard, Silicon Image is now shipping its PanelLink Cinema transmitters and receivers to many of the largest and most respected CE manufacturers in the world," said John LeMoncheck, vice president of consumer electronics products at Silicon Image. "Silicon Image has played a lead role in the development of both the HDMI specification and the HDMI Compliance Test Specification, and we have conducted rigorous compliance testing to ensure that consumers will receive the highest quality and simplest digital connection between devices. The movement by CE manufacturers to quickly incorporate our HDMI solutions into their products demonstrates their confidence in Silicon Image's technology and we remain committed to providing the 'gold standard' in quality for HDMI semiconductor solutions."

The following new products, all of which use Silicon Image's PanelLink Cinema technology, will be on display at CEDIA and shipping this fall, unless otherwise noted:

Panasonic projection TV: PT-53WXD63 (53-inch)
    Panasonic plasma TVs (2): TH-42PX20 (42-inch) and TH-50PX20 (50-inch)
    Panasonic LCD displays (2): TC-32LH1 (32-inch) and TC-22LH1 (22-inch)
    Pioneer Elite™ DVD Player: DV-59AVi
    Pioneer PureVision™ plasma TVs (4): PRO-1110HD (50-inch), PRO-910HD (43-inch), PDP-5040HD (50-inch) and PDP-4340HD (43-inch)
    Pioneer Elite projection TVs (2): PRO-730HDI (64-inch) and PRO-530HDI (53-inch)
    Pioneer Elite PureVision plasma monitors (2): PRO-1000HDI (50-inch) and PRO-800HDI (43-inch)
    Sony projectors (3): VPL-HS3, VPL-HS20 and Qualia 004 (ships this winter)
    Meridian DVD-A transport: G98
    Meridian DVD-A controller: G91DH
    Meridian DVD-A player: 800
    SIM2 Grand Cinema projector: HT300 LINK

"HDMI is an important standard for bringing the all-digital experience to consumer households," said Dave Naranjo, Sr. Manager, Product Planning & Marketing at Panasonic, a unit of Matsushita Electric Industrial Co., LTD (NYSE: MC). "As an HDMI founder, Panasonic is committed to leading the way with HDMI-enabled devices and Silicon Image was the only company capable of providing technology that would allow us to design and ship HDMI products within a year of the specification's completion. Our products have passed testing at an HDMI Authorized Testing Center and we look forward to delivering HDMI products into consumer households by the end of this month, and for years to come."

Silicon Image's PanelLink Cinema SiI™ 9190™ transmitter and SiI 9993™ receiver are the first ICs commercially available that provide HDMI connectivity. In addition to enabling HDMI uncompressed digital transmission, PanelLink Cinema technology also includes HDCP for content protection, the combination of which has been heralded by major motion picture producers as the methodology of choice for the distribution and display of their premium-value content. PanelLink Cinema products are also fully compliant with the DVI 1.0 specification and backward compatible with the growing installed base of digital TVs featuring DVI-HDCP inputs. The SiI 9190 and SiI 9993 support the full range of DTV resolutions and a number of standard PC formats, as well as digital audio support for 2-channel PCM, Dolby Digital and DTS.

HDMI combines high-definition video and multi-channel audio in a single, all-digital interface with a bandwidth of up to 5 Gigabits/sec. Benefits include uncompressed digital quality, fewer cables and a small, user-friendly connector suitable for a wide range of CE components. HDMI also supports bi-directional communication between devices, enabling the DTV to make intelligent decisions on how to best render images. Since the release of the HDMI v 1.0 Specification in January of 2003, more than 40 companies have become either founders or adopters, of the HDMI specification.

According to Bill Foster, senior technology consultant at Understanding & Solutions, a market analyst firm serving content providers and consumer electronics manufacturers, "The combination of HDMI and HDCP is exactly the kind of solution movie studios and CE companies need to propel their business into the all-digital age. The creation, distribution, storage and display of digital content in a secure environment are at the forefront of issues facing content providers and manufacturers today. An interface that has widespread industry support will benefit consumers and manufacturers alike looking to experience interoperability among digital home theater systems."

More info on HDMI : http://www.hdmi.org/faq/faq.asp

3. ChrisDumont

ChrisDumont Agent

thx for that one, anymore announcements at CEDIA that was TV related? One question that the FAQ didnt answer, can you use your existing component (or s-video) cables with those HDMI TV's?

4. Chad B

Chad B Stunt Coordinator

I was at CEDIA, and I didn't hear many newsworthy announcements (but it was still very informative and a great time). Pioneer did introduce a new ISF mode for their RPTV's that is supposed to have all the adjustments we calibrators need to make it look it's best, and it also has presets for day and night viewing. Mitsubishi's new LCOS RPTV looked extremely promising at the upper end of the size and price range. Very impressive picture going by their demo material. They also had a major improvement to the internal scaling on their entire RPTV line. I forget what they called it, but it really did look like a significant step forward in scaling performance. For those reasons I'd take a close look at the new Mitsu's and Pioneers. I was disappointed to see what looked like convergence errors (but might actually be lens problems) on the new JVC D-ILA RPTV's. Most of the RPTV's shown were in dire need of an ISF calibration. On the audio side, Dolby Pro Logic IIx was introduced, which adds rear surround to DPL II. I was impressed with it's demonstration. It also includes a video game mode.

5. RANDY FISHER

RANDY FISHER Second Unit

I was also at CEDIA. It was my first CEDIA and after having attended NSCA (audio) and INFOCOMM over the past year I can honestly say that this was the mack daddy of A/V shows. The SXRD demo was sweet! But, back to your question, yes the Mitsubishi gigantic 83" RPTV based on a LcOS engine was awesome. I am sure the price is awesome as well. The smaller 57" Toshiba LcOS was also quite spectacular showing some HD demo's of a hot babe at the beach and stuff.

Randy