CED Videodisc on LD Player?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jesse Blacklow, Oct 29, 2002.

1. Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow Cinematographer

Quick question: Can CED Videodiscs be played on either the Pioneer CLD-D505 or -S104? I found an auction on ebay that has the CED Videodisc version of A Thousand Clowns, and was wondering if either of the above players are capable of reading it. My mom will be a happy camper come xmas if they can.

2. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    nope, ced videodiscs can only be read by ced players. ced discs use a needle to read the data from the disc, and of course ld doesnt. i guess it would be like trying to read a 45 rpm vinyl with a cd player, if the sizes were the same. i'm sure someone else here can give you more info than i can, but what you are asking cant be done. however, you should be able to pick up a decent used player for cheap on ebay. $50 should buy you a good player, but you can get away with buying a cheaper one. if you would only use it for a couple discs, its all up to you. also search for selectavision, another name used for ced.

CJ

3. Grant B

Grant B Producer

the discs are in a plastic case that you transfer to the player
    So discs generally are not messed up from people/kids

4. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I've got some discs though that make you wonder what people did with them- there is a way to get the disc out of the cover, and some people celebrated finding that out by smothering the disc with their fingerprints!