CDR, RW Quality

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Steven_MB, Jan 26, 2003.

1. Steven_MB

Steven_MB Agent

Having lost a few hours with a bunch of bad new CDRWs, I'm curious if there is a list somewhere of up to date quality info by Manf. and type. (FYI - Having failed to fix my problems with the discs I searched the web and found lots of other laments about this brand, but no organized list.)

2. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

I really hate Memorex :0, I love Fujifilm. Always is good to me.

3. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

Fuji is made in Japan by Taiyo Yuden, which is my preferred brand. You just can't go wrong with them, and considering Best Buy has them on sale cheap about once a month with rebate, that's what I stick with. In fact, I just picked up 100 for $7.99.

Mitsui are probably the absolute best, but they're expensive.

A lot of what you see in stores is made in Taiwan by one of two companies --- Ritek or CMC Magnetics --- regardless of what brand they are labeled. Both companies used to have fairly poor reputations, but I've heard they've improved.

I used to have a small software application that could read a CD-R and tell you the factory that made it. You might do a Google search for CDR Identifier.

Basically, if you stick with anything made in the U.S., Japan or Europe, you're OK. Taiwan is a bit dodgier. For my money, stick with Fujis that are marked "Made in Japan."

4. Jeramy_K

Jeramy_K Stunt Coordinator

I agree with Ken's post above. [​IMG] Though I would like to add that my personal favorite disc is Princo. They are a good quality as well.

-Jeramy

5. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

I chimed in on a discussion like this a while ago...try out this link..

http://www.cdmediaworld.com/hardware..._quality.shtml
    It has details on which factories make which CD-Rs, simulated aging tests, etc. After reading this I hunted for one of the better brands that could be found for reasonable pricing. I settled on Imations, and have had good lucj with them..

6. Steven_MB

Steven_MB Agent

Thanks all for replies! That's just what I was looking for. My problems were with Memorex CDRW, and I saw echos of that in responses.

Steve

7. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

The coolest CDrs are the record looking ones by Verbatim. Those are what I use for music discs because they're so cool. However, for everyday data I use whatever I can get except my CD-R drive doesn't like Memorex CD-RWs so I avoid Memorex.

8. Kip Lackey

Kip Lackey Stunt Coordinator

Do not use anything other than Taiyo Yuden CDR's. Various companies use them such as Fuji and TDK most notably. Others are Memorex (yes I have a 100 pack of the right here) and Sony. Normally they are easily distinguished by a large black knob on the top of the pack but this has changed. They now look similar to the other crap such as CMC Magnetics and Ritek as far as packaging. They true sign is the "Made in Japan" label or run CDRinfo to see the manufacturer.

9. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

I tend to use TDK myself, even when I was DJing I'd use TDK Studio Master discs they worked great and archive forever. little pricey though.

10. Michael St. Clair

I had problems with Memorex years ago, but I bought a spool a while back on a tip that if they said 'Made in Japan', that they would be Taiyo Yuden. I bought them, and sure enough they are Taiyo Yuden. And they work great, nothing like other Memorex discs I used years ago.

Manufacturer is everything, and name brand is nothing, when it comes to blank media.

11. Dan Mertz

Dan Mertz Stunt Coordinator

So how do I tell who the manufacturer is? How do I know if its "Taiyo Yuden"...especially if I'm buying online and can't read the entire packaing?

For example, right now on BestBuy.com they have some Fuji CD-Rs for sale. How can I know who the manufacturer is?

12. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

I second the Mitsui name (now mostly called Mam-A. They have the best reputation in the data archive world. They're about $1/ea for the Archive Gold series CD-R. (Side note, I'd never use a CD-RW.)

Leo

13. Dan Mertz

Dan Mertz Stunt Coordinator

Where is a good place to buy Taiyo Yuden discs?

14. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Dan Mertz, great thread resurrection! Almost three years!!!! Whoah!

15. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

TDK and Sony for me.