CDNOW OUTRAGE...Overcharging for WS over P&S version....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by todd s, Aug 27, 2002.

1. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I just got my Rookie dvd from CDNow. It was the fullscreen version. So I called to complain. Because I know it said WS when I ordered. Well CDNnow is telling me that they have 2 versions available. The WS and P&S versions. The P&S version is $20.99. But, the WS version is $23.99. When I asked why it was $3.00 more for the same title. She said it has to do with what price the distributor sets.
    This is outrageous!!!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    ps-When I called to get it corrected. They said they would take it back. But, charge me the $3 difference. Plus shipping there and back. [​IMG]

2. jacob w k

jacob w k Stunt Coordinator

Is anyone else charging more for the widescreen copy of the Rookie?

3. Craig Cunningham

Craig Cunningham Stunt Coordinator

That's ridiculous. There are plenty of retailers to do business with. I suggest you consider finding a new one.

4. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I was so mad. I contacted Disney's 800 customer service number. She was shocked that they are doing that. She even offered to exchange it for me, even though I didn't get it from them directly. I said this doesn't help with the WS/P&S debate. She must be getting a lot of calls regarding WS movies. Because, she knew exactly what I was talking about. She did put me on hold to talk to her supervisor about the difference in prices. She asked for the name of the company again. So hopefully, something might get done. But, I doubt anything will happen.

ps-I checked my local Target. All they are stocking is the Pan & Scam version.

5. Ian_H

Ian_H Supporting Actor

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if the studios started charging more for the widescreen versions of films. It reminds me of the days of anime VHS and how most of the studios used to charge $10 more for the subtitled versions over the crappy dubbed ones.

--Ian

6. Eric T

Eric T Second Unit

Fortunately there is so much competition in DVD sales these days, that you can tell this dealer to shove it and vote with your wallet elsewhere.

7. Mark Philp

Mark Philp Second Unit

Mark
    This brings up an interesting point. If a company, like Disney, perhaps, agreed to release all it's films in both versions, but because the demand for letterbox was less, charged more for that version, would we as collectors support that policy in order to be guaranteed letterboxed versions. It' sort of like buying car, the better the model the more you pay. Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not endorsing such a plan and not even sure I'd support it. I'm only wondering how others feel.

8. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Mark, there is more demand for WS world-wide than for partial image discs. It doesn't cost the studios more to provide us with wide versions. They may contend otherwise to justify price gouging. If anything it should/could cost more to process P & S stuff, but given the profit margin in DVD's even that might not really be so. Best wishes!

9. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

Thats funny because I ordered The Rookie from CDNow, and I got it for $20.99. My guess is, CDNow raises the prices of their DVDs on the day they come out. You probably had it on preorder for $20.99, then when wanted to exchange it for the other version, the CSR looked in the computer and saw they were selling it for $23.99 which may be their regular price.

10. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Some have also speculated that retailers may be discounting the P&S version as that's the only way they can get people to buy them. So it might not really be an attack on WS, just discount retailing to try and get the inventory to go out the door rather than be stuck with them.

11. Troy LaMont

Troy LaMont Supporting Actor

CDNOW SUCKS! [​IMG] [​IMG]
    P&S SUCKS! [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I think that's it for now.
    Troy

12. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Mike, That's what I thought at first. But, they have the P&S version for $20.99 still. While the WS version is $23.99.

13. Jeff Bamberger

Jeff Bamberger Second Unit

Personally, since it takes moreadded effort to physically pan and scan the OAR original, they should be charging more for the P&S version.

14. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

I stopped ordering from CDNOW quite a while ago. There shipping charges are higher than most other companies. There are many other better e-tailers to order from.

15. Chris M

Chris M Second Unit

I'm reminded of how companies test the waters for certain "features" or "products" but skew the results so they get the answer they want. Such as releasing a movie in P&S only, and when there is little demand for it, they don't bother releasing a WS version.

I'm wondering why the studios don't try doing the opposite along the lines of, raise the prices of the WS versions, BUT include all the extras. And release the P&S versions at lower prices with no extras.

How would that go over?

Chris.

16. Robert Franklin

Robert Franklin Stunt Coordinator

It looks like someone is charging less for the widescreen version. This doesn't make sense. I am outraged at CDNOW for this too. I've bought a majority of my dvds from these people, I guess that is why I shop around before I put anything in my basket.
    Hey guys, check this link out:
    http://www.dvdplanet.com/search_quic...eywords=rookie

17. Ivan_F

Ivan_F Extra

A couple of weeks ago, I found A Beautiful Mind WS DVDs selling for 3 dollars more than its P&S companion @ Wal-Mart. It doesn't make sense, unless you're purposely channeling the public to buy an inferior version of the movie for less as opposed to buying the OAR version for more money. Whether it is intentional or by coincidence, it's still [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] !

18. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Chris,

This all reminds me of that Quiznos Sub commercial...

Tester-(pointing at a dvd on a table)"Would you like this nice P&S dvd or (pointing to a table outside the window across a busy highway) that Widescreen dvd."
    Subject-"I could get hurt crossing the highway."
    Tester-(speaking into a recorder) "Wouldn't even cross the street to get the widescreen version."

The point being if you skew sales figures by mispricing or only stocking P&S. WS will never get a fair shake.

19. Lars Vermundsberget

Lars Vermundsberget Supporting Actor

I wouldn't be happy about it either, but I think we can all agree that the WS version IS worth more.

20. rbirk

rbirk Stunt Coordinator

CDNow also shipped me the Pan and Scan version of The Rookie. Fortunately they offered to replace it with the widescreen for free. It has shipped and hopefully this time it will be the widescreen.

However they also shipped me the Pan and Scan version of Big!! This time the said they canot replace it. I got so furious that I told them I am just returning it for a refund and also made them pay the shipping charge back.

I never got Pan and Scan copied before from CDNow until this week when I got three!! I also complained to them to be more specific when you order so you can clearly see hwat is is you have. They claimed my order of Big was for the pan and Scan but nowhere in my shopping cart, email confirmation or Internet order history can I see that.

Ron Birk