cdm7nt vs cdm9nt

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Kad, Feb 15, 2002.

1. Jeff Kad

Jeff Kad Extra

Looking for advice on front mains for HT setup (some music also). Thought I would get 7nts, but have a chance to get 9nts used for $1800. Haven't seen used 7nts around lately, and best I could do new on them is likely $1700. Is there a material diff btwn them in HT with everything set to small anyway? Probably will get "architectural" sub for cabinet like Sunfire Arch True or B&W ASW2500 or Velodyne HGS10 (alyhough heard there were reliability problems on this one). Your thoughts...

2. Mike Main

Mike Main Stunt Coordinator

Hey Jeff,

I have 7nt and my ASW2500 should be here next week. So far I have things hooked up in 2 channel mode and sounds great. If u get the 9nt for the same price as the 7nt, might as well get'em. Same price for a "better" model.

Just my 2 cents

Ill know more in a few weeks when its all put together.

Mike

3. Mark C.

Mark C. Supporting Actor

If there was the usual cost difference, I'd say go with the 7NTs and get a good sub (Sunfire is a great choice).
    However, since the price difference is relatively minimal, might as well go for the bigger kick[​IMG] Good luck.
    Mark

4. Bruce Berti

Bruce Berti Stunt Coordinator

If the 9NT's were in "like new" shape I would probably go with them. Otherwise, as long as you have a decent sub, the 7NT's are wonderful. Also Jeff,I emailed you the dealer info you asked for. Peace!

5. Tom Grooms

Tom Grooms Second Unit

I would go with the 9NT with-out a doubt. The FTS "surroundless" midrange driver used in the 9's are the same ones used in the 800 Nautilus. This is the only speaker in the CDM class that uses that driver and it's worth every extra penny you spend.

$0.02

6. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

for that small of a price difference, go for the 9s, BUT if you have to pay the regular $600 difference the 7 is a much better bargain (esp if you have a sub). This opinion comes from the fact that my dad has the 9 and I have the 7, and we had them in the same house for a long time and doing a lot of comparing.

good luck

7. Jeff Kad

Jeff Kad Extra

Thanks everyone for your opinions. I was hoping to find used 7nt's for around $1400 or so, but nothings turned up, so I think I will jump on the 9nts since the price is so good. Having a pair of the old 803 matrix in the living room, I've really come to appreciate (almost) full range speakers. I think with the 9nt's I can get away with a cheaper HSU sub for the lowest octave in HT, while staying with the 9's alone for music. With the 7nt or 1nt, I felt I would really need a better quality sub and would feel compelled to use it for music as well. Now on to the rest of the system (will have to start new thread):

So far:

cdm 1nt to be relaced by 9nt

cdm cnt (yet to be aquired)

M&K ss150 tripole (for side surrounds)

HSU or sunfire(jr or arch)

Sherwood Newcastle 945 to be replaced by B&K 305/7 or Rotel rsx 1065

pana rp91 or pioneer dv37 (possibly sony 9000es)

RCA 38" widescreen or sony 40xbr700 (big price diff, but best/biggest tube options, very underwhelmed by RPTV picture and overwhelmed by PlasmaTV price).

Thanks again....Jeff

8. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

Jeff,

You mentioned that you wanted to use the 9nt for music but have the Matrix 803. Well I am not sure how the Matrix compares to the N800 line, but one important factor you are giving up with going with the CDM-NT is the cabinet.

Although the drivers are the same between the CDM9-NT and the N804, the 804 benefits significantly because of the cabinet construction which also utilizes the Matrix bracing like your M803. Personally, I would not be surprised if the 9nt is nowhere near the performance of your M803.

I didn't think it would make much of a difference but it does. Here is B&W's response to my question regarding the cabinets:

9. Jeff Kad

Jeff Kad Extra

Gil: I'm actually very happy with my 803's in my living room as my two channel system, and was simply looking to create an HT system in my basement. My first thought was to go small and cheap, like the Def tech pro100 system (after all this was just HT). But then i got to thinking (a dangerous and expensive game in this arena) I could escape to the basement late at night and actually listen to music sometimes without waking the kids. First listened to Monitor, not bad, but the cdm 1nt's were just wonderful at their price point. Was all set to go, then made the mistake of listening to 7nt and 9nt. So now I'm buying the 9nt's. Yes I know I can buy the 804N, but then I'd look at the 803N, then the 802N....Dear God, I've got to stop somewhere!!!!! What started as a $2000-3000 proposition is now rocketing past $10k.

10. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

Jeff, your exactly right, you never know when to stop. It is like "umm, just a little bit more and I could get the &^&^$), and a bit more I could get *&$$$#^%" etc...