What's new

CDM 1 or CDM 7 in small room (1 Viewer)

Steve Scott

Auditioning
I have a room that is 10' wide by 15'deep and was wondering if the B&W CDM 1's would be enough as my wife prefers the look of bookshelves. I would be pairing them with either a B&W asw 2500 sub or possibly a rel strata. Any help is appreciated. The system will be used 60% music 40% movies.

Ned

Supporting Actor
The CDM1's will be fine if you choose the right subwoofer. I would avoid the B+W subs as they don't really approach the level of refinement of the companies regular loudspeakers. Never heard the REL. Have you heard of www.svsubwoofers.com yet? (not assuming you have since you're post count is low).
This is the combo I use and it's great for movies and music.
------------------
My Home Theater Page

Steve Scott

Auditioning
Ned thankd for the reply. I have heard of SVS bus wondered how they compare after you add on exchange and duty. Not to mention the subs are quite large and I am afraid my wife may not appreciate something that large in our living room.

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
Scott:
I have the CDM1 SEs, the predecessors to the NT series. I started with the 7SEs, but I found them too large for my listening area. Combined with a sub, I felt I was wasting the floorstanding speakers range. So, I sold them and went with the bookshelves. With the 1SEs and my Sunfire True Sub Jr. (9-inch cube that can be tucked in a corner behind my TV) I don't feel I lost anything in the trade-down. I loved the floorstanders, but my room just wouldn't accommodate them. Small subs by Sunfire and Velodyne will appease the wife acceptance factor. Good luck.

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
I love my CDM7NT with my NEW SVS sub (review to come on a different day when I have more time). The 1s are great also, but I am running DVD-A and multi channel SACD, so the lack of bass management makes the floor stander a better option.

Tor Arne

Stunt Coordinator
I really recommend you choose the CDM1. I have the CDM7-NTs and they are very picky with placement and need to be placed well away from the front wall to avoid overpowering bass. when positioned correctly, however, they sing superbly. :) They are both front- and rear-ported while the CDM1-NT are only front-ported. I refuse to use foam bungs. :)
------------------
Picture of my setup so far:
http://tahustvedt.homestead.com/files/stereo01.jpg

Steve Scott

Auditioning
Thanks for all of your help. Well after demoing both the CDM 7 and the CDM 1, I decided to go with CDM 1's all around in red cherry to appease my wife in our 10 x 15 room. After listening to both I honestly believe I would have been happy with either speaker because to my ears they sounded almost identical (bass notwithstanding). Furthermore, in the future I can always add larger mains as I change rooms to allow for 7.1 channel. By the way, for those of you with CDM 1's did you get the matching stands?

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
I'll fess up; I bought the older version matching stands with the B&W logo on the base. But I bought them at a clearance sale for about half off. I wouldn't pay the ridiculous full retail. Sanus or Lovan make good quality stands for about half the price. You'll love your CDMs!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.