CDex ripping speed and settings questions???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by jeff lam, Mar 17, 2003.

1. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Taking all your suggestions I decided to use CDex to rip my cd's to MP3.

I used it for the first time last night. The ripping was so slow. It was taking about 5 minutes per track. I thought something was wrong so I browsed the help manual and noticed that I had to configure my CD drive settings. I have a 32/4/8 TDK drive but I still don't know what settings to use. It said by increasing the number in the "Read Sectors" box will increase the ripping speed. How do I know what to set it at? I also increased the CD speed to 32 since I have a drive that can read at 32x.

What settings should I use for this drive?

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Of course, 32x data read speed does not automatically mean 32x audio cd rip speed.

The version of CDEX I have (it's a bit older at this point) has a read sector setting- allowing you to set how many sectors it reads at a time- try increasing this from the 27 default and see if you still get rips with sound (instead of empty files).

-vince

3. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    I increased the "read sectors" and it went much faster but how high can I set this? Do I keep going up till I get blank rips? I already got up to 1000 and it still seems to work but it didn't seem much faster than 400. I'll have to do a test track rip and use a stopwatch to find out for sure.

4. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Remember that converting to MP3 can be timely (after all, it's compression). I have a brand new Pentium 4 and when I convert wav files to MP3's (directly off my hard drive) at high quality, they can take up to 4 minutes a piece. I also remember it taking about 15-20 minutes to rip an entire CD. So speeding up the CD drive might not make things go quicker.

You can speed up the process by going with lower quality, but why would you want to?

5. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

TDK's Web site lists the ripping speed for your drive as 20X. That's slow compared to some drives, but it wouldn't explain why it's taking 5 minutes to rip and convert a single track.

Try ripping a Wave file and let us know how long that takes. If it doesn't take long, the problem is in converting the Wave to MP3. How fast is your processor and what kind of memory does your computer have?

6. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    I have an older IBM PC300GL. Celleron 300 (366MHZ). I added some new RAM (Kingston 128 stick and Kingston 64 stick) so there is plenty of RAM.

As I said before, I changed to read sectors and the speed increased but I still need to find out how high to set this. I'll try extracting to WAV and see how long it takes.

7. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Yeah- there is no set amount- you just have to experiment and see how high you can go before you get silent files.

Also, note the overlap and compare sector fields-- reducing overlap will make things rip faster- but you'll have less opportunity for error checking. I usually use the "quarter" rule of thumb- I overlap 1/4th of the total read sectors, and then compare half those. Tends to work well.

8. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

9. MarkHastings

After getting my new MP3 player, I decided to convert all my 600 cd's to MP3's. I used my Titanium Mac and ripped to a FireWire drive. I'd start the process and then watch tv. I'd say I got through about 20 or so per night. It took me well over a month to convert all my cd's.

10. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

mark - that's odd it takes you 15 minutes to rip a cd.

i also have a p4 (2.53) and it only takes me about 4 minutes to do a whole cd. i can convert mp3 to wav pretty quickly too - not sure about the time though.

but i'm only using the standard settings (alt.present.something or other)...i know you mentioned high quality. i wonder though it it can increase the time by a factor of three?

11. MarkHastings

12. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

an entire cd in about 5 minutes?

ahh...now *that's* more like it. us p4 people gotta stick together! [​IMG] [​IMG]