CD Writing. Image File? Problems. Can I bypass it?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by John Watson, May 19, 2003.

1. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

Well, got a new burner because the previous one was defective in one area. Still using Nero tho.

Got my audio tracklist ready, and went to select Write CD, and somehow was directed into writing an Image first. I've never known what this Image really is, and was never lead into using it in over 100 previous burnings of CDs.

Problem : That Image burn took about 5 minutes. But I noticed there was no activity light on the CD- RW drive, and sure enough, the CD seems to be blank.

I've retried a number of times to get the tracklist written, but I keep getting a pane that now comes up requesting "Save Image File" Saving it or cancelling it, neither gets me anywhere where I can get my track list onto the (hopefully) still blank CD-R.

I then tried to burn the Image on the disk, even tried dragging the Image file into the tracklist pane, but that didn't seem to do the trick either.

Anything simple I am missing? TIA

2. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

An image is just the contents of a CD (or DVD) written to a file rather than to a blank disc.

In Nero, go to Recorder, then Choose Recorder, then select your CD-R drive. Now go to File, then Burn Image, navigate the file browser to where your image file and and it should start writing to the CD.

Anything Nero can do to a blank disc it can also do to a file.

3. Steven K

Steven K Supporting Actor

Follow Rob's steps... however you might only see "Image Recorder" under the list of known devices. This is because the version of Nero that you are running is not compatable with your burner, so you'll need to download the latest version of Nero (or a version which supports your burner)

4. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

Thanks for the info guys.

Rob, if I can get the Image onto a cd, will the resulting cd look like a normal audio cd in a cd player, ie, 21 tracks 62 minutes, etc?

Steve, I do see "Image Recorder" and the new burner came with a Nero disk (Nero Express) which is undoubtedly much more recent than the edition I am using (which came with the burner that has been removed).

As I was saying, I've never encountered or used an Image file before in doing audio disks, and now that I've been driven into it somehow ( and if I can't just get the CD burner to write the tracks in my nra file), do you think putting in the new Nero might remove whatever problems I am encountering? The computer I was using for cds is not on line, so that would be my only option.

All very puzzling, as the earlier Nero has been able to save tracks with the new burner, but I do seem to be stuck at getting my tracklist onto an audio cd.

5. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

6. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

If the version of Nero you're using now came with your old burner, most likely it is only compatible with the burner it was packaged with.
    When you changed out your drive, it no longer recognizes the drive, so the only "burner" it can use is the image recorder, which just saves the project to disk.

Uninstall the old version and put on the one that came with this new burner and you should be in business.

7. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

That seems to be the problem, Mike, and an install of the new Nero Express has resulted in my first disk with the new burner!

BTW, the Nero Express has a very different interface than the 2001 Nero Burning Rom version I had been using, and I was a bit put off by a few things that don't seem as accessible.

And at one point I realised I had not deselected a "normalize" volume feature, and worried that the disk I was cutting would have all tracks lowered in volume to the lowest volume track on the disk. Instead it seems to have raised them all to the volume of the loudest track (not a bad thing in this case).

Thanks for all the tips guys, and Mike, for clinching it. [​IMG]