What's new

CD vs DVD player (1 Viewer)

Claire Panke

Second Unit
Most audiophiles (and I count myself as one) prefer single disc one box CD players or dedicated separates (separate transport & stand-alone DAC.) NAD makes a fair CD changer, but it can't hold a candle to the best CDps/separates from Arcam, Cary, Wadia, Linn, Naim, Electrocompaniet, Metronome, Audio Aero et al, the tops in audio digital. There are many reasons why, but often cheap DACS are the culprits. Upsampling alone won't cure digititis.

Folks deep into music consider changers, megachanger jukeboxes and modest DVD players low end junk designed for Joe Sixpack. Through good speakers and amps, the shortcomings of cheap DACS, mediocre transports, and lack of vibration control become glaringly obvious - the sound is harsh, hard, bright, no depth, no soundstage, poor detail etc. If you're listening to rock & techno through speakers/receivers purchased at BB or CC (Bose, Cerwin Vega anyone?) you may not have a resolving enough system to hear much difference. But if you have even a modest audio or HT system, well recorded CDs will sound much better with a budget, overachieving DAC like the MSB Link or ART/dIO in the chain.

Many 'philes do use DVD models like the better Pioneer and Sony DVD/SACD players, but usually modded (Dan Wright mods are popular) or with standalone DACS. The better digital audio companies make some pretty good sounding CD/VD players i.e. Arcam, Theta, Cary, Marantz. Denon is considered quality mid-fi, and their DVD players are much more musical with CDs than most players in their price range.

You gets what you pay for. I love my RP56. But I'm under under no illusion it sounds even close to the quality of my Cary 303 CDp on CDs.

If you just want loud and clear, don't sweat it. But if you truly want good sounding music playback, get thee to audioasylum.com or the forums at audiogon.com. You don't know what you're missing.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Claire said:

If you just want loud and clear, don't sweat it. But if you truly want good sounding music playback, get thee to audioasylum.com or the forums at audiogon.com. You don't know what you're missing.
A trip to a quality audio store would even be a better experience. I don't think one really knows what he or she is missing until hearing the real deal.

As for me, I love my Sony CDP-CX333ES CD megachangers. They are quality players and offer convenience that is great for casual listening. However, the difference between the sound of the megachangers and my Sony SCD-777ES (playing CDs) is a revelation.

Claire Panke

Second Unit
Keith, you're right, there is no substitute for actually listening to quality gear IRL. But a little research ahead of time will help one sort it out a little better.

Alas, some high end audio shops are more, erm, user friendly than others. I'm lucky that our local dealers are all good shops, and eager to help educate newbies (not always the case).

A great avenue for learning about things audio is if your area has a local audio or A/V society, You can learn a ton by going to demos and talking to other 'philes.

But agreed, there's nothing like "the real deal". I can never go back. :)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Claire, I certainly did not mean to imply that one should not research components and accessories on the Internet first. This site, Audio Asylum, Harmonic Discord, AVS Forum, etc. are excellent resources. However, ultimately, one needs to experience the components firsthand not to merely make a decision, but for the "newbie", to truly appreciate what high-end audio is all about. The "danger" in doing this, however, is as you said, once you experience true quality sound for the first time, there is no going back.

The problem that one can run into, however, is that not all high-end audio stores are user-friendly. The person treading lightly into the world of high-end audio may find it difficult to do so due to an uninviting temperment of the employees at a high-end store. Some stores do not react too kindly to people who are exploring and do not appear to be serious buyers. I have seen that in my travels. Fortunately, like you, my local high-end dealers are very accommodating. When I sense an attitude from salespeople, I simply walk out and take my business elsewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks