CD vs DVD player

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ashford Little, Jul 11, 2002.

1. Ashford Little

Ashford Little Stunt Coordinator

I used to have many black boxes in my audio cabinet, but in an effort to unclutter said cabinet, and with the need to upgrade my DVD player, I purchased a new Panasonic DVD-CP67 changer.

However, I have noticed one annoying issue and wondered if this is common among DVD player when used as a CD player. The issue is that it's slow to change between CD's. The new player also has a feature where you can continue to listen to a CD while exchanging CD's (which is convenient) but I haven't quite got that down pat yet.

So I was wondering if the audio performance is much better on this than my old Sony ES changer (10 years old)? If not then I may decide to reinsert my old CD player.

Thx

2. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Why not just listen to both and decide which sounds better to you (if either stand out)?

3. Ashford Little

Ashford Little Stunt Coordinator

Now that would make a little too much sense; logic is a scary thing.

4. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

[​IMG]

5. matthew_rm

matthew_rm Second Unit

Are there DVD players that can play CD's and sound good for CD's?:b

-5 disk changers*??

6. Larry B

Larry B Screenwriter

7. brian reis

brian reis Extra

DVD players play CD much better than your traditional CD players. Now maybe not the high end brand CD players. As for the initial comment about it taking a while to play the CD, it takes a while to play the DVD's also. Reason is that your DVD player can now read many different formats (DVD, CD, mps, etc) and it has to figure out what type of device is in there before it plays it....regardless of the DVD player.

8. matthew_rm

matthew_rm Second Unit

Why does my DVD player sound so harsh with CD's? Is it because it is lower end? ($300 CDN Sony)

9. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

It is generally accepted that at a given price point a CD player does indeed surpass a DVD player for music. There are some really good CD players out there for not too much money.

try 'em both with your favorite tracks and let us know what you think!

10. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Brian said:

11. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

12. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

Strange, my 8 year old CD player sounds like a live band as opposed to my DVD player that sounds like FM radio?

13. matthew_rm

matthew_rm Second Unit

I do not think DVD players sound good at all with CD's. (None I can buy) Mabey if you have a muddy system, but my klipsch hate it. My old cones needed it. Still, I think that a CD player will allways sound better.

A DVD player, as far as I know has a more sensitive lense, and plays CD's "harshly." But what do I know. Just a kid lol

14. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

15. DavidVTHokie

DavidVTHokie Stunt Coordinator

Ok - this is a scant off topic, but let me squeeze it in.

What makes a great CD player better than a good CD player? I mean, the medium is all digital - so assuming both players get all the bits, why would one sound any better than the other?

16. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

It's all digital if you keep it in the digital domain. However, lots of folks prefer to paly their CD's via analog and that's where the difference happens. The conversion to analog is a whole new ballgame. The center of the ball game has most to do with the DAC's (Digital Audio Converters). Do a search here or on AUdiogon.com looking up the term 'DAC' and you'll be more educated on the subject then you ever thought possible. However, it's really subjective and some say the differences between CD players is still minimal regardless of the qualtiy of the DAC's. Besides, it wouldn't be audio if you didn't have two sides on the matter.

17. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

18. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    Most DVD player's optical pickups are optimized for DVD media. On my DVD player, CDs skip every few listening sessions (not good). I've never had that problem on a dedicated CD platform.

19. Wayne_T

Wayne_T Stunt Coordinator

I think this is one of those questions where the answer is "it depends". It depends on which device - CD player, DVD player or receiver/pre-pro - has the best DACS and whether the D to A conversion is being done in the player or the receiver/pre-pro. However, I would agree that at the high end the CD player, designed with music fidelity as the primary design objective, should always outperform the DVD player.

In my case, I gave my CD player (Yamaha) away after hearing how music sounded from my DVD Player (RP91) when using the "remaster" feature to upsample to 88.2K.

20. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

This has probably already been said but so much depends on the rest of your system.

I used a strictly Analog output Pioneer LD player as my CD platform for many years. The system stayed pretty much the same until I started using DVD players with, of course, more modern DAC's. Still using the Analog, to my ears the sound seemed minutely better but hardly worth noticing. Then came new speakers and bingo! Differences began to emerge. Then new receiver and re-bingo!

I kept the LD player all this time as a backup just in case. My current DVD player, the JVC 70BK has a very pleasing sound to my non-audiophile ear and it gives me DVD-A I really enjoy. But now I know I should be thinking of a real CD player. Bottom line: the dedicated platform is usually going to be the best source.