CD to test my 2 channel performance

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Yogi, Jul 29, 2002.

1. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

I wanted to test various aspects of my 2 channel system and I heard a CD named 'Ultimate Demonstration Disk' at one of the local stores here. I found out that Chesky Records makes that disk but if I buy it from their site its $15.98+4.95+CT tax. I think its a bit too much to pay for a CD. Does anyone know where else to buy that disk? Amazon or Barnes and Noble or Borders doesnt carry it.

Thanks.

2. Geoff S

Geoff S Stunt Coordinator

See if anyone may be selling a copy on Ebay or Ubid.

3. Pete H

Pete H Stunt Coordinator

Take a look at the Stereophile website. They sell three test CD's. I own all three with the second being my favorite.

An alternative to a test CD would be Al Dimeola's cd The Grand Passion. It is very well recorded. Any system that plays Al's cd with height, width, depth, precise imaging, space between instruments, black background, attack, proper decay, without conjestion and without an edge to the hamonics has to be consider good. I'm using Al's cd and my ears to make all my system changes. It has the added benefit of being great music.

4. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

Thanks Pete, for your suggestion. I just ordered Stereophile's test CD pack. Cant wait for it to arrive[​IMG] Will also checkout The Grand Passion in local music stores.

5. Kevin Deacon

Kevin Deacon Second Unit

Hey Pete, do those Stereophile CD's have test tones from 20khz down to 20hz? I want to get a freq response for my home and car. Thanks

6. Pete H

Pete H Stunt Coordinator

Kevin

Yes, they all provide warble tones that all you to test frequency response. Test CD2 covers from 20kHz down to 20Hz. The first cd actually goes down to 1Hz. One of the features I like about Test CD2 is the "music articulation test tone" designed to help determine how your room influences what you hear.

7. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

I had a TDK CD test disc. It was for both car and home. I'm not sure if they still make and/or sell them.