What's new

Cd to MP3 Ripper (1 Viewer)

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Not sure if this is the correct forum, but what the heck...

Also not sure if "ripping" is the right term for converting CD's to MP3's, but what the heck...

I'd like to convert some CD's into MP3 for playback on the boat. I'm not planning on posting any copyrighted material on the web, and these are all CD's I have legally procured.

Couple Questions:

At 160k bitrate, how many minutes of music can I get on a CD ? I'd like the best possible sound.

Where can I get the best conversion software ?

Thanks !

Andrew W

Supporting Actor
Actually, the Xing products are well known, but don't do a great job of making MP3s. See analysis here. If you use the newest verson of LAME and the settings recommended at this site, you will get very good quality MP3 audio.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I disagree. I use AudioCatalyst by Xing and the mp3 quality is top grade. All the files I rip are 320kbps. I believe part of the equation is the software, however part of the equation is also your hardware. I have used LAME, ripped identical songs from the same source, and found no audible difference. It's interesting that it can be graphed out, yet sound the same. If your PC sucks, then so will your MP3s. Just a thought...

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Check out this thread. It's got some useful links:
r3mix
There's a discussion on VBR which is pretty good, and I used the VBR setting from r3mix to set up my MP3 encoding. 160kbps is okay, but you'll get a bit better quality with not much filesize penalty going with VBR. With 320kbps you are trading for CD quality via larger file size.
cdex
So go there and download the stuff you need, I did, and the stuff works pretty well. Also, if you want to migrate video file formats, try:
VCDHelp
That's a really useful website.

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
I disagree with Clinton as well. Xing products have not been up to par, and certainly not in the same league with Lame VBR when it comes to sound quality.

The graphs at r3mix site seem to coincide with my own hearing experience, with muddy and indistinct highs and in general poor quality.

Since Exact Audio Copy and Lame are both free as well, it doesn't seem like much of a contest. Better sound at no cost.

Even ripping at 320 cbr (a huge waste of space IMHO when you can get equivalent quality with Lame VBR with files averaging about 200) Xing can't compete with Lame - and that is regardless of what computing hardware you use.

The better the sound equipment, however, the easier the difference is.

I am unable to hear a difference between the original wave file ripped off the CD and the Lame encoded mp3 file, which is enough for me. With Xing, I can definitely hear that something isn't right.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks