cd text on burnt cds

Discussion in 'Computers' started by ChrisHeflen, Dec 7, 2004.

1. ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen Supporting Actor

I have Windows XP and use "windows media player" when I burn music to cds. I am wondering how to get it to put the text (like song name and stuff) so it shows up. Is there a setting or something. My friend burnt a disc for me and when I played it in my car the names of the songs show up. (my deck recognizes text labeling) I asked him how he did this and he's like, I don't know.
    I am way dumb about this stuff so I hope this is making sense.

2. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

cdex does this. there is an option for "use cd text (if available)".

while i'm not sure technically how it works, i think it pulls the info from cddb, then simply encodes it along with the song when you're burning it.

edit - this may be a good link: http://www.cdrfaq.org/faq03.html#S3-28

3. Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens Supporting Actor

Christian Behrens
    You need to have a burner and software that supports CD Text. The data is stored in subcodes that don't interfere with the actual audio data on the discs, but your player must know how to read and interpret subcodes in order to make something useful with it, i.e. display the info.

-Christian

4. Rob Silver

Rob Silver Stunt Coordinator

For MP3 CDs I play in the Discman, I use Nero Burning ROM (v.6). CD-ROM (ISO), default settings, that's it. I haven't tried any audio CDs though, but it's the same, except you'll be using Audio CD mode and check the Write CD Text on CD option.

5. Mike Fassler

Mike Fassler Supporting Actor

yeah what Rob said will work, it just basically uses the info fro the id3 tags of yer music files.

6. ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen Supporting Actor

Well all I have is a 2 year old Sony Viao. I don't know what kind of player is in it or anything. I don't even know how to look. I guess I was hoping there was a box to check under "tools" or something insanely easy like that in the WM player. Pretty much anything else might be beyond me. Are you saying I have to buy software and install it to do this?

7. Rob Silver

Rob Silver Stunt Coordinator

Well, I'm sure there are a bunch of freeware out there that will do the trick, but Nero's one of a few software I'm willing to pay for. Look around, you can find the OEM version for under $10, then make it full version by applying an update from Nero, and you're good to go.

8. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Another Nero user. When I burn music CD-Rs all the goodies show up on my alpine head unit. If you're sources are all WAVs it may be harder to tag them. Itunes can tag WAVs but doesn't write CD text when burning music CD-Rs. [​IMG]

While on the subject a few new CDs I buy at the store show CD text. They should all do this by now!

9. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor