What's new

CD Text display question (1 Viewer)

Adrian_S

Second Unit
I have the JVC-334(I think) 200 CD changer with CD-TEXT, and it allows you to add song titles, album titles, artists, with on-screen display, etc.. I love this unit, but it only holds 200 discs, and I have close to 356. Since I can't daisy change the JVC, I was considering getting the SONY 455 which plays MP3's too, but are you guys saying that I can't enter individual song titles?

John_Drake

Grip
I have heard of the Nirvis setup, but had not investigated. Sounds pretty slick.

On the topic of CD-Text and song titles. I don't know about other CD Changers but with the Sony 400/450 units you can't manually enter song titles, only Artist Name and Album Name. The only way to get song titles to display on the Sony units is to use a CD with the CD-Text option. The player reads the info in the CD-Text file on the disc (which typically includes Artist Name, Album Name, and Song/Track titles). The player doesn't actually store all this info, it reads it every time the disc is accessed. The player will only store Artist Name and Album Name and associate it with a slot number. Tracks are read and displayed when the disc is accessed.

I hope this helps.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Adrian, the Sony megachangers will not allow you to enter song titles -- only disc titles. However, if you have CDs encoded with CD TEXT, the Sony players will display disc and song titles. As I said earlier in this thread, I am copying CDs in my Sony CDP-CX333ES megachangers to CD-Rs with CD TEXT. It's great to have all the song titles come up.
By the way, I once owned the JVC XL-MC222 200-disc megachanger, which is very similar to the current 'MC2000. I got rid of it since it only held 200 discs, had no digital outputs, could not display CD TEXT, and could not be daisy-chained to another unit. I replaced the 'MC200 with the Sony megachangers and am much happier. :)

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
older sony units will allow you. I have the cdp 270 & 200 and each will allow you to store individual song titles and even have a video output so you can view t all on a big screan.

The newer ones they scimped on memory and such

Dave_M

Agent
Real Name
David Martin
On a related note, I daisy-chained 2 cx-400's with the s-link connection. I found that if I used the artist mode(which is very nice) that periodically many of the discs in one of the players would switch artists. The only way to get them back was to reenter the info. This continued to happen when I exchanged players so I just disconnected the s-link and the problem has stopped.

Dave

David Susilo

Screenwriter
"it's another one of Sony's own standard" Where do you get this? I've seen Marantz/Philips players in Australia that has this before any Sony has this feature.

John_Drake

Grip
I stand corrected. KeithH is right about the Sony 400/450 MegaChangers, you can only store the CD Name (one field) manually. I've been burning so many CDs with CD-Text that I stopped paying attention to the manual setup. I agree with him too, I like being able to see the track names as well.
Also, to add to the comments about CD-Text being a Sony proprietary feature, it is and it isn't.
CD-Text is a CD standard proposed by Sony, but available to all vendors. It has been slow to catch on, though. You can read more about it here:
Unofficial CD Text FAQ

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
The nice thing is that all SACDs have text (artist, album title, and song titles). I know that doesn't help matters with CDs, but I like the feature on SACDs.

Luke_Y

Second Unit
Tom, as a follow up to my previous post.

Kenwood megachangers equipped with the "PC-Link" feature connect to a PC and allow automatic downloading of disc names, and song titles from the CDDB web site into the CD player's memory.

Just something you might want to investigate. If you do an Internet search for "pc link netnamer" or "netnamer" you should find some info. Or I guess you could just look on Kenwood's site :b

Adrian_S

Second Unit
Which kenwood megachanger would that be? I love my JVC 334, but it only holds 200 CD's, which is full.

I would like the following:

- More than 200

- Can be daisy chained

- Does CD-R/RW +MP3

- Can do CD-Text and allow you to name the tracks (if needed)

- On Screen Display

- Allows some sort of PC Naming or CCDB lookup.

What do you guys think, did I leave anything out?

Luke_Y

Second Unit
The DV-5050M, the DV-5900M if you want Faroudja processing and DVD-Audio. Not sure about their CD only mega changers.

Which kenwood megachanger would that be? I love my JVC 334, but it only holds 200 CD's, which is full.

Allan_Lim

Agent
My friend just bought a Sony 400 CD Megachanger and I brought my MD deck over to record some music this afternoon and the CD-TEXT info was available on very few CD's.
Not only that, for CD's that had the text, it didn't copy over the information when I recorded to my MD deck using the optical connection :frowning:

AaronBatiuk

Second Unit
I almost took the thing back. Then I purchased the Wega TV and the DVD player and found out the DVD player doesn't have the Control A1 port on it...
Control-A1 is specifically for audio components, not video. Some VCR's and a few TV's have control-S ports, but Control-S is pretty limited anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks