What's new

CD Text CDR's.... (1 Viewer)

AVspec

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
I have a Pioneer 300+1 disc CD changer that reads text CD but as you all probably know there are not to many CD's with the text on them. I am looking for the easiest way to burn copies of my collection with text on the CDR and then I can just load those in my changer. The long way would of course be to copy all the tracks over and to the hard drive and name them all and then in the burning software add the title and artist.... I was hoping there might be an easier way, like a piece of software that will let you make a copy of the CD and in the process it either gets the CD information off the internet and puts it on the copy for you or at the very least lets you type in the information before making a disc to disc copy.

Any help on making this a quick and somewhat painless task would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Pete_S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete Schlotter
(Prepare for this thread to be moved to the Computer forum...)

Yes, there are programs out there that will retrieve the album and song titles from the online CDDB and use them while copying directly from a CD to CDR. I use Roxio CD Creator 5 for this (came with my Dell computer), but I believe other more popular programs, such as Nero, will do this as well.

The CDDB is pretty good most of the time, but now and then a song title might be misspelled, so it's always a good idea to give the titles a glance to make sure - if you're as picky about this stuff as I am.

Ali B

Second Unit
Depending on how much you get along with computers, I would recommend that you use a couple of free bits of software to do it all for you. EAC will give you a cd image in the .bin/.cue format which you can then write back to the CDR with most CD burning programmes, and there are a few free programmes that do it too!

You just need to make sure that your CD burner can write CD text!

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
EAC will give you a cd image in the .bin/.cue format
I don't see how this will allow you to name your songs with CD-TEXT.

The only way I can think of is to use EAC to rip all the tracks using the built-in track-naming features (with CDDB/Gracenote). Then, just burn the disc.

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
EAC - CDDB/Gracenote??? were can I find these programs?
Right here: EAC
CDDB/Gracenote isn't a program... It's actually a giant database of CDs available on the web. When you place a CD in your CD-ROM drive, EAC will search this database and identify the CD in your drive. By properly configuring EAC, it can then automatically name the tracks as they are ripped to WAV files.
Roxio 5.0 is fine for burning the tracks afterwards. You might have to enter the artist and title of the CD, but the track names should still be intact.
Good luck!

Joel Johnson

Auditioning
Just an FYI I dont know if someone allready gave you the anwser. You can use CD Burning software ie. Easy Create, Nero 5 to burn the actuall titles of the songs/album/artitst onto a CDR/CDRW cd. As long as your CDR?CDRW burner supports it. Each of these programs have an option where it allows you to edit the track and add text to it. I use Nero 5 Before you start creating the CD it gives you the option to Add CD-Text to the CD. Then when you move the tracks to the to be burned side you can rename the artist song title ect..... Hope this helps.

Phu Vo

Stunt Coordinator
I think what you want to do is to copy the CD and have the CD-TEXT information automatically added to the new copy. Is that correct? You don't want to have to actually extract the tracks and reauthor the disc with your own CD-TEXT, or manually enter this information right? If that is the case, go to www.nero.com and download NERO. NERO allows users to copy AudioCDs and it will automatically add the CD-TEXT information into the new copy by downloading the album information off of the CDDB. Just make sure that before you do this, you fill out the CDDB information in the preferences of the program. The option to burn with as a CD-TEXT disc will appear after you hit the write button in the CD COPY menu.
Good luck.

Ali B

Second Unit
Ooops - yeah, I forgot you need to actually enable the CDDB bit. Then it will insert the track names, album name and artist into the cue sheet. You really shouldn't have to enter any of it manually if you burn it using the cue sheet. BTW, I would also caution you on using anything but EAC to extract the CDs with - most other programmes (in my experience) aren't very good at handling errors, plus EAC is the only programme taht features the secure mode extraction and C2 error info (if you're drive supports those modes).

ali

Ali B

Second Unit
Here's an example of the cue sheet, just so you know it does it all properly. BTW, you can alter the names etc to your liking before the image is made (if the database has an error in it for example).

PERFORMER "k's Choice"

TITLE "Almost Happy"

FILE "E:ks.wav" WAVE

TRACK 01 AUDIO

TITLE "01 - Intro"

PERFORMER "k's Choice"

INDEX 01 00:00:00

TRACK 02 AUDIO

TITLE "02 - Another Year"

PERFORMER "k's Choice"

INDEX 01 00:21:55

TRACK 03 AUDIO

TITLE "03 - Almost Happy"

PERFORMER "k's Choice"

INDEX 01 03:52:00

and so on.

ali

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
MArk,

As some have said, nero can do it.

Here's another solution:

1) Download the program CDEX.

2) Install, run CDEX

3) Insert CD

4) Click the CDDB tab on the right, it will contact CDDB, name the album, artist and tracks right before your eyes.

5) Select all the tracks, and click the RIP TO WAV button. It will now rip the cd to your harddrive with the filenames as the song titles.

6) Drop these wav's into your cd creation program- and if it supports CDtext it will write the titles from the filenames.

Done.

Make sure your burner supports cdtext- 90% don't.

-Vince

AVspec

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
Thanks for all the feedback! The EAC works quite well and the new beta version even lets you burn it. I made a test CD with a CDRW and will be copying that to CDR and trying out in the 300 disc Pioneer changer... I was a little concerned about it removing spaces from the tracks??? Some songs on CD's like on E.L.O's out of the blue CD, the tracks are supposed to blend into each other and I want to make sure it is the same on the copy.

Chad Ellinger

Second Unit
I was a little concerned about it removing spaces from the tracks??? Some songs on CD's like on E.L.O's out of the blue CD, the tracks are supposed to blend into each other and I want to make sure it is the same on the copy.
If you're burning separate WAV files, look for an option called "Disc-At-Once (DAO)" mode (as opposed to "Track-At-Once" mode) in your burning program. With DAO there will be no gaps in between the songs on your CD. TAO places about a 2 second gap between tracks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks