CD Suggestions to Show-off System

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Arnel, Jan 4, 2002.

1. Arnel

Arnel Agent

‘Just want to ask for CD suggestions that I can use for critical listening and for showing off any HT/music system. I think it would be better if it shows great stereo channel separation. I already have some CDs/DVDs from Chesky (Sarah K. and other Selections) but the type of music did not really move me (I’m not into Blues). Music of David Benoit, Barbra Streisand and Sonia are into my likeness. Please give me some other suggestions that I can try. It maybe instrumental or with vocals, jazz, soul or classical. Thanks in advance and Happy New Year to all.

2. Rick_Brown

Rick_Brown Second Unit

Although it is not their finest work, the newest Steely Dan album (Two Against Nature?) on DVD has fantastic sound. You can listen to a high bit stereo mix or a surround mix from the same disc.

3. Carlos Mendoza

Carlos Mendoza Stunt Coordinator

With 2 channels, I've never heard the equal to Roger Water's "Amused to Death" CD. He uses "Q-Sound" to create spatial effects that will blow you away, as long as you position yourself in an equilateral triangle with your speakers.

Plus, the music is just AWESOME!

Another favorite of mine is "The Great Fantasy Adventure Album" from Telarc. Uses a different technique for spatial effects, but they are about as good. It's a compilation of great movie themes and it has some doozies. The Terminator theme really rocks, and it has some subtler themes in there also like "The Princess Bride" and "The Rocketeer". A must-have for movie-music buffs like me.

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

A few of my favorites:

Rebecca Pidgeon The Raven (Chesky): Available as a straight CD or a CD/SACD hybrid. The SACD layer is better than the CD, but the CD sounds quite good. Pidgeon has a beautiful voice. The music may not be your cup of tea, but I like it and feel it will show off a system.

Dire Straits Brothers in Arms: Great music and a great recording.

Steely Dan Two Against Nature: Outstanding album and great recording. The stereo DVD-Audio track is better than the CD, but the CD is good. I've never heard a Steely Dan recording that I felt was done poorly, so also pick up their greatest hits CD.

5. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Rosanne Cash "10 Song Demo," & Tracy Chapman "New Beginning" wouold not be bad.

6. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Jonatha Brooke "Live" would be another suggestion.

7. Bobby T

Bobby T Supporting Actor

Burn a compilation disc with something from all of the above suggestions and other material you find as reference quality.

8. joe logston

joe logston Stunt Coordinator

try patty larkin, regrooving the dream

or laurie anderson, life on a string, thank you, joe

9. James RD

James RD Supporting Actor

The sound quality on the Dave Holland Quintet's "Prime Directive" is superb.

10. Kevin Farley

Kevin Farley Second Unit

Seal's first album is incredible; it has lots of dynamic and quiet passages, and is an excellent show-off album (plus being beautiful music!)

Kevin

11. Arnel

Arnel Agent

Thanks for all the suggestions, I am now surfing CDNow to sample your music.

12. Ray R

Ray R Stunt Coordinator

I recommend Izzy Stradlin and the Juju Hounds. Izzy is the former guitarist for Guns and Roses, but this album is nothing like guns and roses. It's good old fashion blues influenced rock and roll.

Don't know how to explain it other than I don't think about anything but the music when I play this disc. I'm not thinking about how compressed the sound is, how shrill the highs are, or how the bass just drops off. The music just comes straight through on this disc.

13. KrisM

KrisM Second Unit

The Juju Hounds! YESSS!

Thats a good disc that I have never heard anyone else praise before. I saw them open for the Black Crowes(minus Izzy) and it was a great show. I've got a couple of CD singles with some cool reggae b-sides on them that I haven't listened to in a while. I think I'll dig them up tonight.

KrisM

14. HankM

HankM Second Unit

The soundtrack CD of The Last Of The Mohicans is wonderful sounding.

15. Darren H

Darren H Second Unit

I'm glad to see another Jonatha Brooke fan. Her latest CD and DVD-A, Steady Pull, is also a wonderful recording.

I just found a new demo song this week. I picked up two CDs by a band called Equation, a British folk rock group that features acoustic instruments and a female vocalist. The CDs, Hazy Days and The Lucky Few, are both on the Putumayo label.

"My World" from Hazy Daze is a great demo track. It has a really sparse but grooving rhythm track, including a beautifully recorded snare and high-hat. Kathryn Roberts's voice floats right on top. From now on, I'll be taking this CD with me when I audition speakers.

16. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    I'm sorry but I must disagree with the suggestion of Steely Dan, Two Against Nature DVD-Audio. This is a horrible recording widley panned by the recording community.

I say that with some confidence as a long time Steely Dan fan. For Steely Dan try the Japanese import CD LPs from Red Trumpet or wait patiently for the SACD just announced from Universal of Gaucho.

Lee

17. joe logston

joe logston Stunt Coordinator

for the best sound quality you got to try patty larkin,album, regrooving the dream (sacd)you got to have a good sound system. thank you, joe

18. Keith Mascarenhas

Keith Mascarenhas Auditioning

Micheal Jackson's "Dangerous" can be used to show off a system, as can Meatloaf's "Bat Out Of Hell II - Back Into Hell", both have great sound effects and good channel separation!

If you're into big voiced female vocalists, and like big albums, try Linda Ronstadt's "Cry Like A Rainstrom - Howl Like The Wind" featuring Aaron Neville. Recorded in 1989, this is one of the best "big" albums ever recorded, with a spectacular recording thanks to Skywalker Sound. This is one of the best examples of a spectacular DDD recording, ever!

Equally good is Tina Arena's (my tip for the next artist who should be chosed to sing the theme for the next James Bond movie), "In Deep" Album CD. Not only is Miss Arena a fabulous singer in the Streisand mould (with a more controlled controlled belting style, actually more like Elaine Paige/Enya/Lea Salonga mix than Streisand). The disc is mastered by the legeandry Doug Sax and beats similar recordings by long shot - this one will give your system a workout (Especially the Australian Version of the disc)!!

19. John Tillman

John Tillman Supporting Actor

Lee:

20. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    John,

Maybe widely panned is a small exaggeration. BY that I mean that most recording engineers I know felt that the DVD audio was a poor effort for what is essentially a good master recording. I spent a whole afternoon in my local hi-fi dealership listening back and forth to the DVD audio disc and the regular CD, track by track, over and over, on a $40K+ Mark Levinson system. I was astonished to consistently prefer the regular CD. It was better sounding through and through. With 24/192, I should have been hearing more dynamic range and more natural sound. I simply did not.

I simply suggest hold out on this expensive DVD-audio title and get the regular CD. It's better!

In addition, there have been a number of magazine reviews that felt the same way, so I think I may not be in the minority. I love Steely Dan; let's just see how Gaucho sounds in Super Audio.

Now, there is one key point. A good master recording does not a good CD make. For example, one can botch the transfer and all components in the recording chain of the transfer impart a sound on the final product. So DVD audio may be good, but certain audio DVDs may be bad. I am afraid this is what happened on the Steely Dan DVD.

Best regards,

Lee